Agnostic.com

5 11

So, with some of the debates that I've seen, I thought I might pass these along. In some of the more heated discussions I see a lot of these. Logical fallacies do not make good arguments.
[yourlogicalfallacyis.com]

Taijiguy 6 Feb 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

And what about you and your fallacious? I've come across you a few times and your statements. I can't say you've impressed me, frankly. Do you consider yourself a role model in logical argument and fallacy avoidance? What's your self-assessment?

If I have, it's certainly unintentional. Feel free to call me on it. I'm man enough to admit if I make a mistake. Unlike most. Feel free to point to examples. But, keep in mind, the accusation itself doesn't make it true. Refer to the "fallacy fallacy"
And by the way the fact that I "...haven't impressed you...." is really very low on my list of things I care about.

Many of the "best apologist" make logical fallacies on purpose.I know this because I have seen them corrected multiple times. They do not care if their thinking is fallacious, They only care about using manipulation to sway the audience. It is really blood boiling.

Gish's Gallop is easy to recognize but not easy to slow down. .

You do know that "Gish" in Farsi means to pee!

I've seen this in so many interviews. Usually from politicians.

@JackPedigo ... 🙂 I did not know that... May I ask? Does gish translate more closely to pee, piss, or urinate?

Isn't the Gish Gallop simply a filibuster? All the current WH staff have been trained well at this - especially Stephen Miller. I think it was Jake Tapper that called Miller out on this during a live interview.

@SamKerry Not filibuster. It's throwing out half truth after half truth faster than they can be refuted, overwhelming the discussion and in the end saying "I must be right because you could only prove 95% of what I said is wrong."

I'm well acquainted with that site lol. It's like a BINGO card for debates with apologists, you might have 1 or 2 not checked off once all is said and done.

LOL no shit
Unfortunately those same people just don't get it when you try to confront them with their fallacy.

Very informative, thanks for posting that. It might be nice as a reference link on this website.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:27241
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.