Agnostic.com

1 0

Like Sigmund Freud said, religion is as much about immorality as it is about morality. I sort of agree, but hasten to add that it is actually much more about the former than the latter. Read more in:

[norealgod.com]

norealgod 6 Feb 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"The immorality is much deeper than that. In his letters to the Galatians, Paul tries to dissuade the new Christians, most of whom were Jews, from observing Jewish law: “If salvation is by the law, then Jesus died in vain.” It is like saying that deeds don’t matter"

More along the lines that beliefs are stronger than law. Paul's belief in Christ changed the course of history by transforming the law of an 'eye for an eye' into 'love thy neighbor as thy self.' It was a new, and completely radical change in value systems.

cava Level 7 Feb 22, 2018

An eye for an eye, etc, is the last sentence in a whole passage dealing with tort. It is completely misunderstood and taken out of context.The law of an eye for an eye is completely misunderstood. It is read out of context. Read Exodus 22.

"love thy neighbor, etc." is not originally by "jesus". It is an old Jewish saying. The same applies to "don't do unto others...."

The typical bible toting evangelist is very narrow minded. Only the ignorant quote verbatim and out of context. The early Christians also did not think much about attributing quotes to their source, so we put a lot of things in the mouth of jesus that are not his (if he ever existed). Talmud, on the other hand, always attributes who said what and when and also deals with the whole passage dealing with tort and not only the last sentence.

@norealgod The "eye for an eye" is much older than the Old Testament, appearing in Hammurabi's Code (1754 BC), who's general laws must have been known throughout this area of the world at the time.
"An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth." ... "An eye for an eye ..." is a paraphrase of Hammurabi's Code, a collection of 282 laws inscribed on an upright stone pillar," Wikipedia

The point is that Paul transformed the direction of values from a life of appearances to the inner self changing the force of "love others as you love yourself" into its most radical expression as in "to him who strikes you on the cheek, offer the other also", "love your enemies". Paul discovered man's existential will as explicated in Hannah Ardent's "Life of the Mind" [which is an excellent read].

I am well aware of the Hammurabi code, but if you read the whole passage in Exodus, you will see that we deal with reparation rather than revenge. The passage starts with reparation for damage done with intention and ends with a vengeful act for damage done unintentionally. This is an illogical progression and the amoraim (the Talmudic scholars) saw thru it. The verbatim ignorant takes it out of context.

Hanna Arendt (not ardent) is a wonderful and erudite writer. I happen to disagree with her a lot. But I digress. Morality is manifested in action not state of mind. Paul is, in my not so humble opinion, is the crux of christian immorality. I explained it my comment above.

@norealgod
It is Exodus 21, paragraph 22.
Yes, Arendt
I guess we must disagree about Paul. I think his thought on a secular basis is fascinating, especially as Simon Critchley's presents him in his book "The Faith of the Faithless" Just started reading Alain Badiou's "St Paul".

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:27369
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.