Agnostic.com

7 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This good news but will it change the culture? Anyone can have all the rights in the world but if those abusing the rights are not made to feel the consequences of their violating those rights what really changes? In American just read Langston Hughes or follow Colin Kaepernicks shunning by the NFL for doing exactly what the Constitution gives him every right to do. Or all the PoC in jail vs the lesser number of whites for the EXACT same crime.
For women around the world religion, culture and the law still collide to make us second class to males. Witness what our own government is doing to women healthcare in America.

About time

Glad for that, but still, a long way to go yet regarding child brides at all.

You can marry them, you just can't have sex them. I guess it's an improvement....

There are so many local marriages that don’t get registeres until a girl is of age. At least this way a girl can be educated about her legal rights and if she can find a way to report her underage marriage, she will in theory have recourse to get out and hopefully get him prosecuted.

@FreethoughtKaty Even if a girl can report her husband for rape, how many actually will? How many local police offices will go after reported husbands? How many will just make the situation worse? How many girls will risk severe treatment from her parents or community for reporting? It may marginally improve the situation for a handful of girls, but even that's questionable. I'm not 100% sure this law will do any good at all in a country where you can still take a child bride. Time will tell if it helps at all. In the meantime, I highly suspect it might just be a show to convince westerners they're not so bad after all.

A great legal victory. Let us hope it equates to social action there.

Great, now let's see how long it takes to change the culture. Have you seen this film? If not be ready for an emotional roller coaster.

Yes it’s a mind fuck

This is wonderful news! I'm hopeful for the future of all women when stories like this come out.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:275404
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.