Agnostic.com

5 4

LINK The Evolutionary Advantages of an Addictive Personality - Scientific American Blog Network

I think that the author has a point. But he does not mention an interesting fact: that risk-embracing behavior is far more common among males (especially young males!) than among females. An evolutionary explanation should account for that fact.

Matias 8 Jan 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Maybe she brings it up in her book,
“Never Enough”.
[amazon.com]

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

JUDITH GRISEL, Ph.D., is a behavioral neuroscientist and a professor of psychology at Bucknell University. She has been awarded more than a million dollars in federal funding to pursue research on the causes of drug abuse. Her work focuses on what in the brain predisposes people to addiction, and her most recent paper revealed a genetic risk for alcoholism in women.

skado Level 9 Jan 29, 2019

The article was written by a woman, which might shed light on why there was no mention of those risk-taking young males. Yes, I think evolution has shaped humanity so that women tend to be patient, intelligent, and to take care of themselves while young men tend to fight, drink, do drugs, engage in extreme sports, etc.

I like her final assessment. For anyone who is bored there are healthful activities that are more effective than drugs. In her case, she had the strength to replace drug addiction with becoming a neuroscientist.

I used to get bored, and I’ve done some fairly risky things. Nowadays I am the opposite of bored. Just thinking about the immense significance of reality throws me into a state of excitement.

To basically equate drug-taking/drinking addicts to people who climb Everest, zip-line, bungee jump etc. is just ridiculous! One group actually Does things...has fun, gets excited, finds a new temple complex, or a beneficial microbe, the other sits in a stupor, when not knocking off liquor stores, or grandma.
I have lived with addicts, I know I have an addictive personality myself, but have avoided triggers all my life. i can state that Needing(absolutely Needing!) to ingest something to assuage a craving is Not like trying water-skiing for the first time! Not even remotely!

Good point. Do you think the author was trying to put her own addiction into a more favorable light by casting it as a risk-taking activity?

@WilliamFleming very good observation! I did not think of that, but it would explain A Lot!

War

Interesting article. Thanks for sharing this ?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:276353
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.