Agnostic.com

3 1

LINK Historian berates billionaires at Davos over tax avoidance | Business | The Guardian

I think he makes some very good points... it’s very true that “most wealth is not created at the top, but merely devoured there.” And it is amazing that it is not discussed more, when 26 people own as much wealth as the bottom 50% of humanity, and they don’t pay their way in taxes, of course it’s going to have a massive impact.

Denker 7 Jan 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Money becomes a narcotic they cannot go a day without earning more than they will ever be able to spend.

Funny you should mention this. Just this morning I was reading a report in the paper about a new book "The Inner Level." It's about examining the psychological toll of the wealth gap. More equal societies reduce stress, restore sanity and improve everyone's well being.
I see 2 problems: firstly many of these people are out of touch with what is going on in the world and their contributions to the problems. My late partner's son is a doctor and has 3 kids and, of course, lots of money. She once told him life would be really, really hard for his kids and he agreed but also said he will take care of it. This meant opening a retirement account and funding college. No idea of anything but money fixes. The 2nd big problem is the pro growth economic strategy. Growth costs and many are being put in a position they cannot pay for some of those costs. We have a scofflaw ballot pusher who once got a flat $30 car tab rate on the ballot and won. The tabs have gone up, as it has created real problems for the motor vehicle infrastructure and the idiot is pushing this again. People will vote for it as they don't have the money for more expensive licenses. Along those same lines and one most of us refuse to see is that we actively import poverty. Many people coming here are coming for economic reasons. They can't make it in their own countries so they try here. This actually widens the wealth gap.

Of course, he is right. I had my epiphany when I went to visit Rhode Island and saw the mansions , one after the other lines up by the ocean; The Vanderbilts ( they have 2,) the Kennedys, the Carnegys, all the other billionaires who have erected these opulent houses and gardens on the back of the workers they imported from the rest of the world. Conspicuous consumption. Wealth without work .

One idea is to also look at the lower end and see how the poor live. My late partner's brother lived in Dubai. When she went there the first time he wanted to show her the opulent parts of the city but she only wanted to see the impoverished parts. Here Phillippinos, Indians and other poor people lived in one house, shared bunks and had hard lives. The need for any kind of work was there and the wealthy exploited this. So what can you do? You can first make rules that govern basic living standards. You can also send messages (like the world did with apartheid) that say we won't condone these sort of actions. When the wealthy have to pay a basic wage with basic standards they will think twice. Unfortunately, we are all guilty of this 'cheap' use of people when we support excessive and illegal immigration because these people will do work the average citizen won't. We cannot help people and exploit them at the same time.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:277207
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.