Agnostic.com

3 4

LINK Rutger Bregman: Poverty isn't a lack of character; it's a lack of cash | TED Talk

"Ideas can and do change the world," says historian Rutger Bregman, sharing his case for a provocative one: guaranteed basic income. Learn more about the idea's 500-year history and a forgotten modern experiment where it actually worked -- and imagine how much energy and talent we would unleash if we got rid of poverty once and for all.

Lukian 8 Jan 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

What a concept and it sort of brings me to my next question, if this TED was played for the American Congress and Senate how many would be on board? I sometimes think senators like mitch mcconnell enjoy keeping people poor, sick and uneducated.

I think the idea of connecting prosperity to virtue came in with Protestantism. I don't know how it developed because scripture connects spirituality with poverty. It might have come about through a contempt for how people lived in Catholic southern Europe and Ireland. They were less industrious and more concerned with the joys of life than the more surly Protestants who had their extremes in Puritan thinking. The doctrine of Joel Osteen is probably the most prominent example of linking virtue and prosperity.

"venture capital for people."

This is fabulous. Thanks for sharing.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:278363
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.