Agnostic.com

14 5

Happiness

Are you happy and why? What does happiness mean to you?

DiThor 6 Jan 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

For me, it means accepting who I am, warts and all. It's not about eliminating sadness, because that's impossible, our feelings aren't things we can turn on and off like a faucet. But allowing what I'm feeling and knowing that I'm still okay.

I am genuinely happy. I consider happiness going to bed with a clean conscience. I have surrounded myself with good people, I tell my loved ones how much they mean to me and I am kind and compassionate. Yes, I am happy.

Happiness is a choice,....so I chose yes

Sometimes. I wish I were more so. I am good at portraying happiness, but my life is not where I thought it would be at this point. I have moments of real joy and I try to get as much mileage out of those moments as I can.

Hope you will feel better soon...one day at a time. You are in a deep freeze right now with your weather!! Brrrrrr stay warm!

Yes because I have what a need. A loving family, lovely spouse and kids, a job I enjoy, a yard to tinker in, animals to cheer me up and lets not forget a Jeep. I became happy when I stopped chasing the "MORE". When you always want more, you can never be happy.

That is so fabulous!

Feeling that I am making a contribution. Not because I am an especially good person but just because you get too old for personal wants to mater much anymore.

Pretty much. I find purpose on the things I can control and understand there are others out of my control so I don't sweat those. Of course I deal with struggles like anybody else but that's just part of the journey.

Experience is the best teacher.

@DiThor yeah, for the most part.

I don't think I'm especially happy. I straddle the line between contentment and discontentment, but I think I lean ever so slightly toward the positive. But I don't think happiness and sadness are extensions of contentment and discontentment, respectively; they seem like they exist on a separate layer. I can be content yet have moments of sadness. And I can be discontent but experience bouts of happiness. I'd liken degree of contentment to my general diet, and degree of happiness to my occasional dessert. To continue with that labored food metaphor, I'm generally slightly pleased with my regular meals, and I'm slightly displeased with the treats. But some meals are disgusting and some treats are delicious.

I agree and very well stated

I am dealing with some health and financial issues but I can say Yes.. i am happy. Life doesn't have to be perfect for me to be happy. It's never been perfect...but l have been in better health and finance while less happy. It's about the people you surround yourself with I believe.

I am just recovering from years of health issues and financial strain. I have never felt better then now and I stopped worrying or thinking about money. I literally screamed it out to the universe “f money” and I literally have had no money problems since. Good luck and I hope things will get better for you soon.

Just helping others and feeling loved

Feeling loved or even just cared about makes all the difference.

Yes, because I learned how to stop making myself unhappy. For me, happiness is waking up every morning glad to be alive, instead of dreading the day ahead of me. Happiness is never spending another minute in depression. Happiness is the total, permananent, and irreversible independence of my emotional buoyancy from my material circumstances, no matter how inadequate or even dangerous they may become.

Thanks for asking.

How about you?

skado Level 9 Feb 1, 2019

Every night when I lay down to sleep I say, “If I die tonight, I’m okay with that” have yet to wake up unhappy in the 10 years since stating this nightly mantra.

I'm happy because I can do what I love to do. In my case, it's mostly literature. I started a bucket list to read all the classics I never read when I was younger. I'm in a situation now where I can give so much of my time to my 'hobby'. Happiness to me means an inner glow felt from being full of the wonder of the world written down on paper. I'm working my way through Shakespeare's Henry VI trilogy for the second time and have to stop from time to time and shake my head and wonder at the genius of the man. That's happy.

Absolutely. I choose to be.
Loving those around me, loving myself, being ok with who & where I am in my life.

I think I’m happy because I’m content with my life and where I’m at in my life. My life is very relaxed calm and very comfortable. I truly wish others the same.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:278642
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.