Agnostic.com

13 3

Are you involved in any charitable work?

I’ve done some charitable work around my area here and there and have some future plans for some larger efforts. Are there charitable causes that you get involved with? Any that you would recommend to others?

SteveB 7 Feb 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have always volunteered helping those with intellectual disabilities since I was a teen.
I left the corporate world in 1988 and have only worked for the not for profit sector since.
I do not donate money to any charity.
Wildlife, animal welfare, environment restoration are areas I focus on, but also help kids who struggle at school. May sound harsh, but not really into helping people, only those who are unable to help themselves, hence kids and those with intellectual disabilities. I go out of my way to include both in what I do.

I do a couple charity events each year.

Usually 4 or 5 benefit shows at the local VFW to raise money for various veterans charities. My role is usually just playing in a band and helping book the other acts for the events.

I MC a charity car show every October, with procedes split between the local Humane Society and the our local food bank.

I never donate money to anyone, but I do donate my time frequently. I don't care who sponsors the effort as long as I find it to be a good cause.

exactly.

I volunteer with the local childrens hospital Reach Out And Read program. I read books to kids in the waiting room while they are waiting to see the doc.

If u have young children, please read to ur kids every day. I promise that you will never regret it! My wife and I read to our kids from about 6 mo until they were in 2nd grade. Please teach ur kids to love books: love the stories and love the knowledge.

But please, not the bible. There is much better fiction.

I’ve volunteered for LGBT, Gay Pride, mental health, and a Denver area music organization. I feel best when I’m very active at that stuff.

Yes I help animals by selling my art

not at the moment and I am looking but if I sell a gorilla, for instance, ill donate towards those etc. help is needed everywhere.

@LeighShelton totally awesome.

thank you, my friend,

I attempt to aid most anyone who asks in whatever way I can accommodate, but charitable organizations, I can say neigh.

Depends on what you define as charitable. A long time ago I learned that giving to most charities was done because it made one feel good. That has become a false premise for me simply because the goal includes a personal reward. For me the primary goal must address an important cause as overpopulation reduction, land and species preservation, public awareness

I donate to groups as Engender health, Planned parenthood, Nature Conservancy, PBS/NPR Alliance for gun responsibility, the Brights, Humanists, FFRF and others. I also donate time, energy and money to a lot of local groups as the San Juan Islands National Monument and the large number of sub-groups, The local historical society, Medical clinic, Library, Community Center again just name some but not all.

I once put together a power point presentation on the environmental impact of charity. Many charities actually make problems worse. Donating to food aid groups can actually increase hunger and starvation (I ask myself how many people receiving food today came from families that also needed food aid in the past?). Look at the ads for some charities; do they elicit a pity or cute message? I see charity as a moral issue and if by helping one makes the problem worse it is immoral. "the road to hell is paved with good intentions". This is a difficult idea for most and I get a lot of heat because of it but change is not easy and one has to be willing to get past the "feel good" idea and face criticisms.

Agree, I always look carefully into any organisation. Here most money donated is lost through admin and fundraising costs. Sometimes you are lucky if 20% gets through. I revisited an old studay site last year after 42 years. There was a big sign out front boasting of the environmental restoration work done (it was pristine when I was there previously).
Next to and immediately behind the sign were invasive weed species, I took some photographs and emailed them to the council that had funded the work. They have not replied.

I'm a regular blood donor. If you are eligible and able to donate, you really should. There is always a need.

I've been a volunteer for the Red Cross since Katrina. I teach disaster preparedness mostly but have also taught CPR, First Aid, AED, and other disaster services classes.

I am going to an autism ride in April. My cousin organized it. It raises money for families with autistic kids

Doctors Without Borders is a great organization. Habitat for Humanity is also worthy of respect and volunteer efforts.

I'm open to it. I also enjoy giving to worthy causes!

I give away houses.

@SteveB

I don't do Pearls before Swine.

No. I'm from an old school where my policy is if you're not willing to help you then I'm not either. Meaning you are doing all the work needed to own free and clear a house that on average is worth about $200,000.00

You pick a state you want to live in. I'll tell you how to get a free house, not land. You pick land wherever you want to live. I'll come to you and show you how to quickly do to the house what is does with bookshelves. We will take the house to your new location set it up and you get to live in it for the rest of your life. You'll still have to pay for utilities and taxes but anyone making minimum wage can do that or use the money you use to pay your rent with to pay those. I'll show you how to get money for land septic well etc.

Also, along with the house, and this is required, a crash course in the residential building trades. If you're not willing to be on the site at 7 and work your ass off all day I'm out. If you will show up I'll teach you plumbing electrical carpentry HVAC roofing etc.

What good would it do to give you a house you could not maintain or afford to maintain?

It will take a few months with one helper. Me and my girlfriend moved the first one.

I do not charge for this. I do not ask any background questions. I supply tools.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:28020
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.