Agnostic.com

7 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I wish I could read it, but it asked me to sign in. But at any rate, I agree with what everyone is saying here. You can't fix them or change them, only be a support. Let them know you're there, that they're being heard, and they're not alone. When I've had my serious bouts of depression, that's the been the best thing for me.

You don't have to sign in. Just click the x on the notice when it comes up.

@tnorman1236 Ah, okay. This time it worked.

Be with them. Listen. Don't try to relate, just be present. Make tea/coffee, snacks. If they aren't hungry, but tired. Take a nap with them. If you live far away, send something funny, or just text chat to let them know they are valued.

But do something. If you don't know what to do, ask them what to you can do. But if you care about a person, reach out, and keep reaching out.

If you can't do what I mentioned above. Call someone who can. Mental health provider, peer partner, mutual friend, whatever.

listen

MsAl Level 8 Feb 6, 2019

First thing that I’d suggest is to turn off their tv

But seriously though as someone who does deal with depression I can say that each individual is different so what might work great for one could actually send the next one over.

So as a friend I’d suggest asking the really really important question if they appear to be in a severe state and that’s
“ If I leave you alone will you hurt yourself?”

If they say yes then please don’t leave if they say no then stay a little longer and ask if there is a professional that they’re in contact with an can you call that person for them and then stay longer than you had originally planned. I’d suggest you stay until that professional can be reached.

And even then before you ask that very important question again but I’d try to find a relative or someone to take your place if you do have to leave.

If they do not have a qualified mental health professional yet then work with them to get one or get someone in their family to do so.

Either way unless you’re a qualified mental health professional then please don’t try to be one be supportive, be receptive even if they’re being abusive
( that one is important because they could just be pushing you away so that there’s no one there to stop them if they plan on attempting to take they’re life )
And if they want to cry then for fucks sake let them for as long as they can. Strangely just like when we were babies this act tends to take mental energy out of us which is good because an exhausted severely depressed person is wayyyy better than one with energy.

And try to remember what they were talking about as well as their moods ( did they cycle from extremely excited or agitated to extremely sad and how often and rapidly). They could be undiagnosed bipolar or they could’ve just stopped taking their medication).

This is important because if they have to admitted then there will be some information for them to look for which could speed up their recovery process.

Well that’s mostly what I can share but one last thing though if a guy says that he just tired and he’s being withdrawn. He’s not actually sleepy tired he’s depressed and you check on him especially if you see signs of increased alcohol consumption.

Get them to interview a couple of therapists, pick one, and then make sure they Go + take their meds. A chemical imbalance is nothing you can change!

Depression isn't always about a chemical imbalance. Otherwise, I agree.

You can't. Not unless they want you to help.

Try doing something nice for them example make them a meal, take them out, go for a walk with them, buy them flowers.... but most of all listen to them.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:283034
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.