Agnostic.com

5 0

Are Theist In Your Face In The Bible Belt?

I keep hearing people talking about people in the bible belt having trouble with theist getting in their face all the time here in the Bible Belt. I live in Dallas Texas and seldom ever have this problem. I was wondering if Dallas is a religion free oasis in the bible belt or is it something about me that they tend to leave me alone. It is only maybe once a year that a theist brings up the subject of religion to me. And even then it is usually a short conversation with me saying that I don't believe in free will , or giving them some take I have on some part of the bible that they don't have an instant come-back for.

ThomasMeador 7 Nov 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm from Alabama. The people usually give me strange looks but don't ever say anything.

I live in Oregon, but in an area that could rightly be called its "bible belt." Most of the time I don't have any issues but a couple of weeks ago, at the post office, I had an encounter. An older man was handing out those tracts that look like money. I knew what it was and, after checking my mail, I tossed it in the trash. As I was leaving, he was coming back inside, for some reason, and held the door for me. I smiled and thanked him. He then asked if I threw the paper away. I stated that I had. He then started in about Jesus and I replied that I know the story as I continued walking toward my vehicle. He called out "you don't want to go to Hell." I called back "there is no Hell." He called back again "yes there is" and I returned with "no there isn't." Well, by then, I reached my truck and he went back inside so the encounter was over. That was the first time I have ever had something like that happen. Usually, I only have to turn door knockers away.

dallas is one of the nicer cities and attracts a lot of people from other states and countries. the bible thumpers are more in other cities and towns but they're still everywhere in texas.

My apartment is across from an Episcopalian church, yet ironically I don't feel they're "in my face" at all.
The real issue is at my work (in corrections) where about 50% of the prisoners seem to be some type of religious zealot these days. They wear their oversize religious symbols around their necks, conduct unofficial group meetings in the dayroom and on the yard, and inform me that they have "the Holy Spirit" on their side, so they're justified in breaking our mere secular conduct regulations. Policy states that we can't interfere with their free exercise of religion (and I agree, that's the Constitution), but we do limit the size of their group meetings because they frequently use these as cover for gang activity.
I also feel that if they were going to discover God and live a life of holiness, it would have been better to do that before committing murder/arson/rape/jaywalking. Somehow religious converts seem less sincere when they're in prison.

I live in the Pacific Northwest, not too far from Portland Oregon, where they (at least admit to) have the lowest church attendance in the U.S. of any major city.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2831
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.