Agnostic.com

3 1

QUESTION The Truth About Assault Weapons

The current hue and cry is to ban the fearsome AR-15. Here are somethings that may surprise you relative to bans on guns and high-cap magazines.

dahermit 7 Feb 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm not surprised as I've read up on this stuff. Another excellent post, thank you for sharing.

I didn't see anything about the massive wounds these high velocity weapons cause.
You have called me names, you've insulted me, called me a woman, That I am a bleeding heart liberal. You have never given me one legitimate reason why assault weapons should not be banned. They are weapons of war. Shooting people is against the law, so why is a weapon designed and built for the sole purpose of doing that very thing be legal.

Same old bullshit gun lovers have been spewing. My favorite is the argument about it being used in only 2% of the crimes. I don't want banned because it is only used 2% of the time. I want it banned because almost all of the 2% is mass shootings.
That's the truth.

It is all about the amount of fear something generates relative to its actual threat. 250,000 deaths due to things like medical mistakes per annum, 64,000 deaths per annum due to overdoses and it hardly makes the news. If the threat is not statistically significant compared to other threats, then it is by definition, irrational...but I will not try to convince some silly woman standing on a chair because a mouse ran past her. 32,999 killed in auto accidents each year...2,000 of which are children. Ban cars and driving? As for it (AR-15) being used in almost "all" the mass shootings that is just anti-gun bullshit: [cga.ct.gov]

@dahermit More than half of all mass shooters had high capacity magazines, assault weapons or both, according to Mother Jones. I'm not anti-gun, just weapons designed and built to kill or maim as many people as possible as fast as possible.
I'm not going to argue with you, a federal appeals court ruled assault weapons are not protected by the 2nd amendment.

@MikeFlora And many did not use "assault weapons", or high-cap magazines (Texas Tower shooter used a bolt action to kill 16, wound many). Therefore, a complete ban (on the manufacture of new and the 100% compliance of the surrender of all in existance) on "assault weapons" and high-cap magazines will not stop mass shootings...the very best that could be hoped for is a reduction in mass shootings. "I am not going to argue with you." is a childish response in a debate. The fact that a Federal Appeals Court ruled on the issue is a moot point inasmuch as only the Supreme Court has the final authority to rule on Constitutional issues...which also is a moot point inasmuch as the point my oringianl post did not raise the question of Constitutionality. "...weapons designed to kill or maim...", is a statement right out of the anti-gun handbook...a platitude short on fact and long on emotion. Get on your chair, there is a mouse on the floor.

@dahermit Assault weapons are not protected by the 2nd amendment which means they can be banned. The federal appeals court upheld Maryland's ban on 45 types of military style weapons. I intend to see as much of the rest of the country follow suit.

@MikeFlora Yawwwn...once again, the federal appeals court is not the Supreme Court, which has the final say. And, Yawwwn....the original posting was not about the Constitutionality of certain semi-automatic weapons.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:28446
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.