Agnostic.com

3 3

QUESTION Hacked Appliances?

Very interesting NPR report this morning. For all you techno junkies buy connected appliances at your peril. I recently bought a high-tech water heater. It has a programmable screen on the outside and one can set the temp. and even lower it when one is away. In cold climates the water might freeze and damage the water heater so there is an “away” setting. One can also attach a device from the local utility co. to control the heater from your I-phone. This is only one example of an increasing number of appliances that can be virtually controlled. This report shows how hackers are getting involved and can cause a lot of harm.

JackPedigo 9 Feb 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I remember reading several years ago that one of the theories about the Christian Apocalypse had to do with AI/appliances rebelling against us. Eventhough I'm an atheist, this scenario actually concerns me with all the smart appliances getting smarter and the ability to easily hack them.

Is this what happened with the processed toaster, LOL.

I don't think it a dangerous to have appliances on the Internet but I feel there's no need to put most of your appliances on the Internet. I recently installed an 8 camera surveillance system and it is connected to the Internet it's very handy for watching my house I spending his winter in Summerland key Florida and I can check my house daily to make sure the furnace is work. Also can check the inside rooms and outside the house that everything is OK , I'm very happy with the system.

dc65 Level 7 Feb 24, 2018
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:28453
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.