Agnostic.com

9 1

Which best describes you (Dawkins Scale)?

Where are you on the Dawkins Scale (1-7):

• 0 votes
  • 0 votes
  • 0 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 3 votes
  • 14 votes
  • 8 votes
  • 0 votes
GoodMan 7 Sep 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Any suffIciently advanced alien civilization is going to be perceived by us as godlike just as the Spanish conquistadors were perceived by precolumbian societies as gods. I believe such civilizations do exist, whether or not we will ever encounter them is another matter entirely.

I think it’s very likely type 1 or type 2 kardashev civilizations exist. If type 3 or higher exist does that make them “Gods” by our human religious literature? To me that would be yes.

[google.com]

I feel 6ish today

There is no evidence to support a deity, but one cannot definitely rule one out.

Marz Level 7 Nov 23, 2017

I voted a 6, I honestly don't feel it's possible say with 100% certainty that no god(s) could exist. I'm certain that the stories surrounding current popular gods claims are not true as far as we can tell, making those god(s) as shaped by those stories just as untrue.

I voted 6 but I'm about 6.9. Yes that's closer to 7 but by defining myself as a 7 I'd be saying I can be 100% certain there is no god or gods & I can't say I am, only that I nearly am & just perhaps could be wrong but I really really doubt I am! i.e. I can't be 100% sure that there's no Loch Ness Monster but I really really doubt there is one & I'd say all god claims are about as likely as Nessie is!

Paul Level 5 Nov 1, 2017

I'll always be at #6 just like one of my favorite teachers, Richard Dawkins. I'd understand people stating they're 100% certain that Jesus or Allah isn't god, but to state 100% that there is no god is just as absurd as theists stating the opposite.

Unfortunately, when one takes a religion apart, any religion, one finds anthropocentrism at it's heart. Often emotions, fear, greed, arrogance and selfishness are often the predominate motivator.

Where did you get this scale? I would like to note that this scale appears to have an Abrahamic bias. As an agnostic, I recognize the possibility that all gods of all religions might exist, including those of religions now regarded as myth.

I retrieved it on the internet, and it is from Richard Dawkins; Author of The God Delusion, a documentary you can find on Amazon and youtube. I have no affiliation, and I don't know whether Mr. Dawkins actually developed it, but it is commonly referred to as the Dawkins scale. I learned about it from a Facebook Group I'm a member of. If you have a different one to share, please do, I'd be curious.

Interesting, I've never investigated this. I've always counted myself as a weak Atheist. I never contemplated the middle ground of Defacto Atheist. It was a position I held inwardly, yet I unsatisfactorily accepted the position of the weak atheist regarding it as the only other option to strong atheism. Thank you for revealing this to me.

You're welcome.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:285
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.