Agnostic.com

4 1

LINK How Many Die From Medical Mistakes in U.S. Hospitals? — ProPublica

Whenever people start yelling about anti vaxxers, things like this come to mind. Science and medicine are not perfect. No one and nothing is above or scrutiny, or should be above scrutiny. Do I think anti- vaxxers are misguided? Yes I do. I also think the rest of us need to recognize that their fears are not unfounded.

OpposingOpposum 9 Feb 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

With the diseases eliminated and now returning I will stick with with vaccines!Those odds are far superior.

Lol
And the alternative is what?
Antivax should be renamed pro disease

Yep. And then there are the slow deaths: last year, an acquaintance under went "minor" surgery, neck down paralyzed now; my brother died six years after a successful bypass operation - wrong blood type, destroyed his liver.

I think there's a world of difference between acknowledging that humans aren't perfect and that medical science has been wrong before and leaping to the conclusion that pharmaceutical companies are callously and knowingly harming children for profit. No, I don't trust pharmaceutical corporations, but I trust that they employ conscientious people and not everyone involved are sociopaths.

Antivaxxers take their psychoses far beyond reason and endanger immuno-compromised children because of their arrogant insistence that Jenny McCarthy is more knowledgeable than the CDC. I think if the death of any child can be traced to an antivax parent, that parent should be legally culpable.

JimG Level 8 Feb 12, 2019

Right on

I agree that the evidence is that vaccines are safe and effective. My point in this is thst these people have reason to distrust the medical community. Thalidomide, the Tuskegee experiments, phen phen, the opioid crisis all happened because doctors and pharmaceutical companies told people the treatments were safe. Only after major harm had been done did anyone admit wrongdoing. If we're going to change minds, we have to address the fears that lead people to believe anti-vaxx rhetoric.

@OpposingOpposum I don't know if it's going to be possible to address the fears. They are based on a proven lie by a since-discredited doctor, but we have numerous people who profit from spreading the scientific ignorance.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:287632
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.