Agnostic.com

10 3

So, do you think there is such a thing as when one person truly loves another, but the love is one sided? There could be a genuine friendship, but I'm talking "love" (whatever THAT is). I used to believe that if someone feels THAT strongly about another, it could not be truly one-sided, but I've become agnostic about that idea.. lol

RadicalHumanist 3 Feb 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes! An amazing feeling like no other, until he says, "love you as a friend". Painful to talk about. Those butterfly feelings don't go away easily, either.

Ugh

Love is two words. It's a noun and a verb. The noun is a feeling that originates in you benefits only you and really has nothing to do with the other person. The verb is how we express that feeling. Each person's feelings come from their own mind. Your feelings in no way dictates another's feelings.

I was afraid of that..

All the freaking time, sadly.... "I can't make you love me" by Bonnie Raitt is truth thru music!

Happens all the time...

Unrequited love is real. "Just cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there."--Thom Yorke.

ugh

I was in a FWB relationship 16 years ago. I fell in love with him. He said he loved me, but not in that way. He's my best friend now, and I can't imagine life without him in it, but I'm still in love with him. I know it will never be reciprocated. It hurts, I'm attempting to move on, but I cherish our friendship and don't want to lose it.

Ori89 Level 4 Feb 25, 2018

Yes.. I can identify with that. I have not had one of those relationships, I think my friend has though, and perhaps its the same thing because she is still looking (less seriously nowadays though) for a life-partner...and I think he may have told her the same as your friend told you.. which is maybe why she doesn't care so much if she finds a "real" relationship.. I would probably be very happy with a FWB relationship with her, probably much healthier than anything more serious based on our two personalities, but I don't think that will ever happen.. but stranger things have happened, right?

I am not sure as to the nature of "true" love. If I say I love you, It may or may not make someone feel pleasurable sensations, Security, respect, warmth, But when I say that, assuming I would not lie in saying it, It reflects warm feelings that I possess. Were my feelings based on simple reciprocation, Then if not returned, I should feel them less or not at all. To say "I love you" says more about the speaker than the object, Always.

I like that.. very well put

If the feelings of love for another person is not being reciprocated then it would seem to point in the direction of infatuation.

I'm not sure that is true

I disagree. I have loved people who didn’t yet love me back.

So many people live there whole lives making do. I know I did. I don't really know that many obviously tight bonded completely in love people.

nah, love is more often one sided than not. Perhaps it is more infatuation, but think of when one partner has fallen out of love/moved on.
Also, it is common even when both love, for one to love more than the other.
Life sux.

Life sux, indeed

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:28777
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.