Agnostic.com

9 6

Through These Godless Eyes -- What Are We Supposed To Do?

I was having a discussion with Silvereyes on her FFRF Bible Quiz post, where she points out that it would be eye-opening it believers knew more about what's in the "good" book their faith and belief system is based on.

Very few do know what's in it.

Still, some do and appear to be desensitized to the brutality and inhumanity, even making excuses --- defending the god of the Abrahamic religion(s). Other's experience cognitive dissonance.

If more people did actually read their "holy" book, they might ask themselves why they think such a god is worthy of their praise, much less desire to spend an eternity with a deity who has the behavior of your average alpha male chimp and the worst of human rulers.

This is a superb 12-minute video by Phil Hellenes, titled: Through These Godless Eyes. With empathy and straightforwardness, he drives home the point. If you watch it, you'll understand the question in the post title.

VictoriaNotes 9 Nov 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think I can see Phil Hellenes bias peeking through in his video, after all, God prevented Abraham from going through with the sacrifice of Isaac.

What are we supposed to do?

I don’t know. But I can tell you, as a theist, that I reject the interpretation of god that Phil Hellenes presents in his video too.

@VictoriaNotes

Of course.

You can, as is your prerogative, make the assertion that the person of Abraham who is mentioned in the Pentateuch, and that all of the Pentateuch itself, is myth. I have no desire to debate you on that proclamation as neither of us can confirm it either way. But for the record, I do accept that Abraham was a real person, as was Moses, Zoroaster, Krishna, Buddha, Jesus, Mohammed, Baha’u’llah.

I think it is grossly unfair to drag any personage from antiquity into the 21st century and try them by the laws of our time and culture. How would you like to be hauled back even 200 years and judged by the laws prevailing in that period? I think it best to maintain a high degree of context and impartiality when examining history.

Yahweh, to me, is the Hebrew word equivalent to the Germanic ‘God’, or the Medieval Latin ‘Jehovah’, or the Hindi ‘Brahman’, or the Arabic ‘Allah’, or any other names that have been given to God over the millennia. In answer to your question; yes, I am a theist.

@VictoriaNotes

Well. . . . what can I say?

. . . touché

I think they believe they are not actually required to read it. They let the representation of whatever book of whatever religion get indoctrinated in to them depending upon whomever happens to be the "preacher" at their place of worship. Depending on that person's manipulation and most times it's misinterpretation is why there so many sects of the same religion's.

I believe we are doing exactly whst we need to be doing. Keep letting them have all the rope they want, eventually, and its coming on quicker and quicker with more young free thinkers as the old ones die off and go away from the hell they have left their family and imprisoned the younger members into over decades. We are not always going to be a minority we are slowly choking this indoctrination to extinction by letting them continue to show their true colors on so many issues. I can see it more nationslly than locally. As in where im living now people who know me and how I believe [ FACEBOOK] pull their children close when they fake talk to me. I was lucky enough to have a girlfriend for the past 10 years who is 17 years my younger also an Atheist. Now that we have broken up it seems I am now a piriah in the community. During that 10 year relationship I now have a 3 year old lil girl. My ex was 32 when we parted but I still seek out the same age of partner and hopefully freethinker to continue to raise my daughter to be one as well. I didn't intend to make this about me but I think it relates to the question. Sorry if I got off topic in anyone's eyes. Anyway thank for listening. Good day.

I love this video. Yes its entirely brainwashing... The bigger question is who believes these mythological things are real. One simply asserts when you die, then this becomes real. Which seems to be the logical tool used to get people to adopt the behaviors the religious group wants of its thralls.

argo Level 4 Nov 12, 2017

What I did was realize that IF the God in the Bible and the Koran exists, he's a murderous monster who isn't even restrained by his own rules and therefore isn't deserving of anyone's worship. Having no rational evidence for the existence of ANY god, it was doubly a relief that this one almost certainly doesn't exist. And if he does, he isn't fit to judge anyone.

help other people and creatures enjoy a good or better life

hello

I know there are many theists who claim to have read the whole bible, I believe some have and some haven't.

Whether they have or haven't actually read it and don't see their god as anything but a monster are of course heavily indoctrinated and go to church and listen to whatever warm and fuzzy, cherry-picked sermon the pastor laid out for that day without question.
They also take it with a big scoop of cognitive dissonance.

Admittedly, I did not take the time to watch the Youtube video; however, I have read the Bible all the way through several times and know Hebrew, Aramaic, and Koine Greek. So I think I can say with some authority that I "do know what's in it." I have found so many glaring contradictions of content, meaning, and relevance. First of all it is not a coherent one book. It is made up of various books from different times and places and were put together by those who arbitrarily claimed to have the right to do so. Even which books were retained and the books that were not accepted (Apocrypha) and the books that were included and not included in the New Testament. There were many books that were existent by the time of the Council of Nicea when the books were decided, that were arbitrarily thrown out, e.g., Clement, Shepherd of Hermas, etc. The so called scholars at the Council of Nicea were illiterate left overs from the wars and crimes committed against the "knowledgeable" people who had been killed off. Thus, the canon, so called, was put together by rather a rag-tag group of people who were not scholars and who were prejudicial toward, and against, certain beliefs and issues of the day, e.g., Hellenism, gnosticism, zoroastrianism, etc. So, what do we do with "it?" We realize that it is a group of writings put together for the purpose of trying to argue various points that have no relevance to the real world and used to keep the "flock" or "followers" in line with the supposedly agreed upon "correct" view.

Yes, some Christians haven't read the bible all the way through, but in my experience as an ex-born-againer, many have. But they read it with a very strong bias, and with lots of social pressure to accept the ugly parts, cuz, well, this is god after all... The trick is to get them to think for themselves, but that can't happen till they're either dissatisfied with their beliefs, or they become isolated and vulnerable enough to re-think their entire value system. It's possible though... look at me.

Yes, I agree. And the questions that any christian might have that cannot be answered is put into the "mystery" box. What I mean is that god is so far beyond our ability to understand your question has an answer but the answer lies with god and is one of the mysteries that some day he/she will answer for us upon the great return. Unbelievably, people accept the "mystery" box explanation and go their way satisfied that there is an answer, but that it is beyond their capability to know now, and that even trying to know now might be "sinful" or "wrong" because it is part of god's mysteries.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2884
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.