Agnostic.com

2 1

QUESTION Child Marriage in America—the Amendment of Abuse and Antiquity - TheHumanist.com

According to the Tahirih Justice Center, a nonprofit that fights against child marriage and forced marriage, more than half of the United States do not have a minimum age requirement for marriage, including Florida. This leads to violations of statutory rape laws that are sometimes made legal through marriage loopholes.

Underage marriage in the United States and abroad is often influenced by culture and religion. If an underage girl gets pregnant, marriage can be used to cover up the sin of having kids out of wedlock, which would bring dishonor to the family.

zblaze 7 Feb 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes, in half of US states there is no legal minimum age for marriage, though parental consent and often judicial consent is required, but it is a problem. People can and do have forced and arranged child marriages in the US.

Minimum age is 16 with parental consent (male and female) and 18 without here in the UK.

The article seems to imply that many states do not have a minimum age to marry - is that true?

Also the minimum age for consensual sex in the UK is 16. I was under the impression that it was the same in the states - is that the case?

The article left me with more questions than answers.

It out right states that "more than half of the United States do not have a minimum age requirement for marriage, including Florida." The article might be incorrect though???

Minimum age for consensual sex is 18 in most states, I think.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:28998
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.