Agnostic.com

5 1

Family Separation

Has anyone else in this group been separated from very close family members because of religion ?My kid's mother is a Jehovah's witness and she is raising my kids to believe their beliefs and it has tainted me and my kids relationship almost to a nonexistant point.Has anyone else deal with this type of experience and loss of family to religion?

Joe414141 4 Nov 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I hate to say it but I think your wife is behaving in a completely irresponsible way and she's splitting up your family for a god that no one has ever seen, she should allow the children to find their own beliefs in life and stop influencing them.

My children where my life and the reason I worked so hard in life was to try to do my best for them I have since talk with a counselor several times and she suggests I need to find another reason to live besides living for my children

I have a family separation situation, initiated by myself though. As I started openly expressing my disinterest in religion, the criticism from my mother and family members was becoming harsher. There is precedent for it in my family, so rather than coming out as an atheist and being ostracized, I cut off all contact with my mom. I have come out to my sister since, but actual conversation with her has become nigh impossible because every message from her is about returning to the faith.
As other family members started applying social and emotional pressure on me to reconnect, I cut them off too. None of them save my sister know I've turned atheist, but if they did they would have been much harsher and not be speaking to me in the first place, as my sister has threatened to do since I came out to her. Come to think of it, we haven't spoken since.

I'm surprised my sister let's me talk to her teenage kids though. At least she trusts me not to "corrupt" them with godlessness. Atheists not having any morals and such. My 2 nephs and a couple cousins my age are the only family I have right now.

My kids mother is a staunch literal conservative christian, so every word in bible is true and divinely inspired by God. I am lucky that she still wants me to be a part of their lives so I get to spend time with them normally about a day a week. I can see the influence that religion has over them but I am pretty sure that as they go through their teens I will be able to act as a counter balance against that dogma. I don't mind if they turn out religious, as I was for the first 40 years of my life, but I want them to know that non-belief is a real option, the saner option, so that they are not angry and confused when they finally realize that religion is a con game in their later years.

My kids mother is a Jehovah's witness on is raising my kids in that religion And for the most part they believe if you are not part of their congregation then you are on the devil's side .My kids cannot look at me all respect me as a father with that type of brainwashing being done to them 2 to 3 times a week .I commend you on your outlook on your Simular situation .It's very tough for me when I have busted my back and done things for them in they think that it's God that is doing it not Me .It's also very tough for Me To Except that they are being taught that they are supposed to love God more then their parents or anyone that's literally there for them

I have created a 'Wall of Reality" in my apartment and printed out 500 atheist memes. I have also added in funny memes with cats and Pokeman characters, etc. Occasionally my kids look at wall and ask me questions, so it is slowly, slowly catchy monkey.......

I'm sure you also feel the same level of guilt that I do about many things to do with your kids. Don't forget that your kids will basically love you no matter what. They are not adults, they don't judge in the same way, you are their Dad and if you are somehow a constant in their lives, they will love you no matter what. It is often VERY HARD to put a brave face on everything, but you have to. You also need to be the one reaching out to them. I am lucky, I bought both of my kids iPads so I can stay in touch with them without having to go through their mother. You can also in those dark moments write letters to them telling them all the simple things they want to hear from you, but you may not be there to tell them. It is super hard but with constant effort you can do it. It is tempting to almost want to run away due to the mother, but somehow you have to stay in the game. Eventually your kids will understand and hopefully love you even more for it.

Way, way back in 2008, I was "unfriended" on FB by my 2 nieces (whom I adored) because of my anti-religious stance. Since then, I'm pretty much persona non grata to most of my family. The loss of my very close relationship with my brother is the most painful. My mother has finally decided to put up with me, sorta...there are days, like today, that it all comes washing over me and sends me into depression. The thing is, after almost a decade of seeing how easily dismissed I was from their lives, I wouldn't want them back in mine - even if offered. I believe that I've seen their true selves...but it can still be very sad. I'm very thankful for my children and husband who have stood by me while I grieved.

I understand your pain

I haven't experienced it but I do sympathize with you. Would she rather you pretend to believe so you could see your kids? It's a mystery to me how believers will behave.

Yes I could pretend but It would be so tough to sit back and watch as my kids are being brainwashed Firsthand ,Watching them be trained that they are supposed to love God more then their own parents or anyone else .Their religion teaches them if you are not part of their congregation then you are on the devil side ,So there is no way they can look up to me be influenced by me or look to me as a respectable father with having those things in their brain taught to them 2or 3 times a week. I have tried to talk to them And ,send them videos About the religion they are being taught but they're teaching teaches them that it's the devil trying to trick them

This is such an unjust situation. Surely a court will recognize your rights in this matter.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2900
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.