Agnostic.com

2 3

LINK Why Can't NASA's Curiosity Rover Rescue Opportunity?

"The first problem, unfortunately, is distance. According to NASA's Mars map, the Curiosity and Opportunity sites are about 5,200 miles (8,400 km) apart from one another. Curiosity's a bit swifter-footed than Opportunity, but even so, the young sprite would just take way too long to cover that terrain. To navigate the Martian terrain, these rovers require constant guidance from Earth Combined with the long delay between message transmission and receipt, even a trek of a few feet can take days.

The second problem is that Curiosity is an explorer, not a repair bot. It would be a monumental challenge to repurpose its onboard instruments to even clear dust off of Opportunity's solar panels. And there's no guarantee that's all that's gone wrong with the rover sitting silently in the Martian cold and darkness."

SkotlandSkye 8 Feb 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

And its last words are heartbreaking.
“My battery is low and it is getting dark,” the robot told NASA scientists.

Yeah....I posted that yesterday. Poor little guy 😟

If it's in a storm and it recharges via sun light can't it just reboot after the storm passes? If it hasn't been covered up by debris obviously.

@McWalsoft I have no idea. Wish I knew.

Maybe one day it will be saved, either by a manned mission who happens to be in the area or by a rescue bot that saves and repairs all the lost rovers. Maybe these things might be feasible one day but those machines at least have an enormous historic value imo.

Dietl Level 7 Feb 16, 2019
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:290929
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.