Agnostic.com

1 2

#Buried #RadioactiveMaterial #OnYourDoorstep

Whilst browsing on another subject I encountered this intriguing article that highlights the largely hidden dangers surrounding citizens. Dangers thanks to irresponsible government policy.

[popsci.com.au]

FrayedBear 9 Feb 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This at best seems a rather temporary measure growing this organism to the point of it trapping radioactive waste in biofilms requires a specific environment with sufficient conditions and nutriments need to be maintained until the thousands of years necessary for the waste to naturally lose its radioactivity.

At least if it stops the continuing leakage toward the river systems it is one small step forward against the million backward steps of 1950's testosterone boosted stupidity aka "I've got bigger and better bombs than you!"

@FrayedBear Temporary solutions are better than no solution but, the history of low-level nuclear waste is a history of temporary solutions. Permanent solutions do exist but for a government only interested in being elected every four years they are impractical as real results take decades to achieve. It will cost billions and the electorate see only the money being spent and no visual results. This is why quick fix are the most desirable for politicians.
The other point is that this takes away from more important things like a bloated military budget.

@HeathenFarmer Two problems: 1. It was the bloated military budget that caused it. 2. The radioactive material - atomic bomb warheads and the bye product is hardly low grade radiation.

Is that why the current expediency is to dump your nuclear waste in the Middle East by firing off so called depleted nuclear shells? I'm reminded of the other great American con "let's get rid of our toxic chemical waste fluoride by feeding it to people around the world in their tooth paste. What they don't swallow will just contaminate their soil!" All done to improve Kellogg's profits and the sugar industry.

[huffingtonpost.com]

And if you scoff that look at the photos of the abominations being born to women contaminated.

@FrayedBear There is a lack of cohesion in your thoughts the article is neither related to containment of radioactive waste, your opinion on fluoride and its soil contamination risk.( an idea often put forward by fundamentalist churches), or the sugar industry.
It is about the consequences on the civilian population from the use of depleted uranium ammunition in the theatre of war: valid topic on its own but not well connected to this thread.
Please, slow down stay on topic and put your thoughts together logically, this is not Facebook.

@HeathenFarmer Please explain how depleted uranium shells the dust from their disintegration now contaminating millions of people and thousands of square miles is not disposal of American waste nuclear product? Returning to the original post, and I will now apologize if parts have already been stated as this is now a second attempt at replying to you:
@HeathenFarmer to quote from the posted article "During the Cold War, the United States produced a truly mind-boggling amount of radioactive waste. Much of that sludge was not disposed of properly, and has been leaking from its underground storage tanks since the 1950s. Over the years it has contaminated more than 2 billion cubic feet worth of soil and nearly 800 billion gallons of groundwater at low levels.

Cleaning this mess up will be a daunting task, but scientists have just enlisted a new ally. It turns out our best bet for containing radioactive waste might be to stick yeast on it. Many of these tiny fungi can survive extremely radioactive and acidic conditions, scientists reported January 8 in the journal Frontiers in Microbiology. What's more, they form gunk called biofilms that could potentially trap the waste."

This is obviously not low grade waste as claimed by you otherwise like the garbage of New York it would have simply been dumped in the oceans and waterways.
I then replied to your denial of the original post by noting the fallacy of your comment. I continued to explain that the current disposal policy of using it to contaminate large areas of the Middle East may be effectively removing the problem from home turf but hardly endearing you to others. I then continued that thread of argument to compare it to the other great con trick regarding disposal of a substance I believe prohibited under U.S. EPA laws - fluoride. The method being one devised by Kellogs to counter the disastrous effect of the sugared breakfast cereals on people's teeth.
My thoughts are perfectly logical and rational. I wonder however about your mention of fundamentalist churches. Furthermore having now learned of local farmers propensity to pollute the environment with chemicals leaving it to future generations to find and clean up I again wonder as to where you are coming from. But perhaps you just wish to remain in denial as to what you have been allowing your governments to perpetrate against its own and other countries citizens? What is this Faecesbook that you refer to? 😉

@FrayedBear You really have no idea what you are talking about, sorry to have engaged you. bye

@HeathenFarmer Isn't having "no idea" also known as cognitive dissonance?

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:29216
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.