Agnostic.com

5 1

QUESTION Do you really want to fix the political system? Seriously?

The latest post on my blog. All comments are welcome (although, obviously, some will be more welcome than others).

Hellbent 7 Feb 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I want it changed, but it is a big boulder rolling down a hill, I can't see it being stopped.

It's too corrupt to fix and we need leaders even though there wankers

Would like the electoral college to be purely based on a flat population rate. Each electoral vote is worth about 550,000 people in most states, based on representation. However; smaller states (no offense) like Wyoming only have 550,000 people and yet get 3 electoral votes. this effectively makes their votes worth three times other peoples votes, of course the electoral college does not have to follow the popular vote... One person one vote. IMHO.

@Hellbent Yes there would be a danger of smaller states being ignored, the flip side is they are given more power. States having representation is different from a persons vote not being equal to another. Not to mention the way the electoral votes in some states are winner takes all, which allows larger states to carry more weight as well. A popular vote is closer to letting people decide, not a select few.

@Hellbent Yes, that is the part I would fix, states 'rights' are good in some aspects. I think voting for national political offices such as president should be by individuals, not states.

Yes, so very much.

Question: While I understand the principle behind secret voting, how would the various constituencies know whom to vote for if voting records are unavailable to the public?

I don't understand the question exactly.

Allow me to rephrase: If we don't know how our elected officials vote, how will we know if we want to keep them in office?

You're welcome. Thanks for the thoughtfulness in your posts.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:29315
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.