Agnostic.com

4 2

Is religion a multi-purpose "coping mechanism"?

Could it be that religion originated, among other things, in cultural evolution in all known cultures, because it provides a kind of mental protective shell against harsh reality?

Just as humans everywhere invented dwellings and clothing (at least in colder regions), or just as humans from the very beginning joined together in groups as a defense against predators, so it could be that the highly developed human mind at some point needed a protective shell against some depressing and frustrating aspects of reality, against the vicissitudes of life.

When humans discovered that they were all mortal, they (unconsciously) developed the idea that there was a part of them that was not mortal. When they made the depressing realization that a-holes often enough got away with their immoral actions, they developed the idea that there was an invisible place where the culprits would receive their just punishment.
And so on...

Matias 8 Feb 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

people really need to be with like-minded people.

I think its way simpler than that

Yes, with the emphasis on "multi-purpose". I don't, however, think religion was just an idea that people came up with to solve a problem. I think it has biological roots, along the lines Wathey described, and evo-psych roots. It appears to me to have evolved along with humans since before humans were human, and, along with culture at large, serves as a counterbalance to environmental changes that cannot be met quickly enough by biological evolution.

If religion was only made of ideas we would have easily shed those ideas when better ideas came along. The evidence against that is the many scientists and otherwise well-educated people who are still deeply religious. It's as deeply embedded in our DNA as the impulse to hunger or fear of death. It will not be run out of town by something as flimsy as a better idea. Individuals vary of course, but our species is a religious species, and will continue to be so until we get a lot better at manipulating genetics, or until we evolve out of it or go extinct. In the meanwhile, our best hope of coping with its negative effects is in cultural evolution. That is to say, to create a new cultural counterbalance to offset the old cultural counterbalance. Reform, not abolition. We cannot legislate "fear-of-death" out of existence, either politically or socially. We must find smarter ways to live with it.

skado Level 9 Feb 21, 2019

I can see that religion might sometimes be used as a coping mechanism, but I posit that such usage does not invalidate or define religion.

Here’s an article I just read about awe:

[msn.com]

I feel that the religious impulse was founded in awe, and that could not have been possible without a deep and profound awareness and appreciation for nature.

Hmm. The obv quest for immortality, or "when humans discovered they were all mortal," oh except for the Emperor or whomever, has always been the reason for religion to me, but I like the angle here, this was more likely the orig impetus for the commoner I guess

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:294803
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.