Agnostic.com

11 0

What do we need or, can we do, to make atheism mainstream?

Quoting Dean Van Drasek "Atheism needs some good publicity if it wants to become more prevalent. It needs to make itself look more like an actual alternative, rather than a mere rejection of something else. It needs to have positives, and not just negatives in the minds of the public at large." Your thoughts.......

Hugene2002 7 Nov 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Atheism will become a norm in due time. I think it is the better approach to not create any greater negative feedback than we already have. We are making progress in a mostly peaceful manner. Let's keep it that way.

That is not to say we take a passive role when it comes to issues of church and state with regard to politics and education. We need to be vigorous and conspicuous there. We need to be politically active to guard against the desired theocracy ambitions of fundamentalists everywhere in the world, but it is of supreme importance here in the United States because of the evangelical push we are witnessing. Bullshit spreads too easily on its own, but it is much worse when it gains a little power.

It's definitely tough at times like with this administration when it feels we are going waaaay backwards. Hopefully there'll be an opposite reaction when there is a new president who can leap ahead with social change in many places for our society.

Sapiens would have become extinct thousands of years ago if our ancestors were atheist. Don't wish it upon our species. We evolved with theism because it is necessary for continued existence. The truth would be hard for most to live with. Let them be.

Wow! You should post your reply as a question. I think you might get some humdinger responses from people in this forum. I, for one, can't say I really agree with you. I get what you are trying to say, but it was called the Dark Ages for a reason. Imagine if we hadn't had religion with Newton, et al, allowed free-reign to explore ideas. I think we would be A LOT further ahead by now.

Evolutionarily perhaps there was a time when humanity needed faith to hold communities together. Now religion is like a phase humanity needs to discard as it is holding us back, not letting us leave the water for fear of dry land so to speak.

A public relations campaign needs to be developed that asserts the validity of atheism in a way that's palatable for many and be advanced by a public figure that everyone sees naturally as someone to believe regardless of what he or she says, someone that people instantly trust and respect, and like.

SamL Level 7 Nov 6, 2017

Ricky Gervais! LOL!!! 🙂 At least he'd be funny while messing with folks!

Educate people with facts to counter religious propaganda.

I participate in a ministry at a church near me. I have let it be known that I am agnostic. I hope they will see that I am a compassionate person (the ministry helps several charities within my area). I don't think mocking the believers will carry our message very far. Taking a page from their book, "Don't be ashamed to let the world know that you are a 'non'-believer!" I've been asked what church I attend. "I'm agnostic", is my answer. If they question me about dying and going to hell, I'd say, "I've experienced a lot of 'Hells' in this life, death has got to be better!" The snake in my tattoo has been labelled as Satanic. I said, "The Bible has given snakes a bad rap!" (Snakes are just as much a part of their god's creation as any deer or rabbit.)

The hallmark of anti-religious worldviews ought to be quiet confidence and the ability to deliver stunning arguments when called upon. Religious thinking is by it's very nature brittle. It will always be the exposition of myth. If you knock down the myth, the subject cannot live in a vacuum....they will be drawn to reason like a moth to flame.

The disenchantment with organized religion is on the rise. With so many competing religions, it is more difficult for young people to believe that one is better than another. If Atheists organize then how would they be better than the existing religions out there? Religion is a business, they have overhead cost, supplies, and a service to sell. There is a hierarchy of control and promotion from within. Although it is donation based, they do charge for services. So....How would marketing Atheism (with all the cost associated with it) in a positive light not turn it into another religion? Would it not be better to just keep challenging accepted beliefs and allow each individual to come to their own conclusion?

Betty Level 8 Nov 6, 2017

This, is brilliant. We cannot allow ourselves to fall into a new "religion". Humans don't need something to be divine to become dogmatic about it. And if atheism becomes too popular, we'll get our own mega preachers. It will be a sick undoing all over again.

Again, I have to draw parallels between the anti-theist and gay communities. As was proven by the gay community that lived in the shadows for centuries it will not be until all of us declare ourselves openly and live our lives true to our own natures that real progress can be made. To use a tired cliché from the church itself, "This little light of mine, I'm going to let it shine!" I remember when living in San Francisco in the '70's participating in some of the first gay pride marches that, at the time, it felt like an act of militancy. Every year the parades got bigger until today when the feeling is more like a festival of celebration. We must speak out in our own spheres of influence when someone makes a remark about religion or even says, "Thank god!" What does god have to do with anything? If you cringe when you hear something like that, say something! Why should we be the ones that walk on eggs around such people displaying a respect that is not accorded back to us? Living in the open full time is the best thing any of us could do! And, yes. I think we should have big parades every easter Sunday mocking religion in every major city. I'd love to drag a cross with a crucified easter bunny attached down Market St., State Street or Broadway!

Ummmmmmm no.....if u push it and demand 2 b recognized or seek validation of nonbelievers then
Were doing what u hate about religion........i don't need for jesus freaks 2 acknowledge what i believe i could care less what they think about me its a free country wanna believe in a god thats ur own personal choice......i don't believe what they do and they don't matter 2 me.......don't make Athiest a religion

My thoughts exactly!

Organize monthly or bi-monthly events which are networking events combined with learning events. There should be one speaker who talks about recent advances in mathematics, physics, or space exploration - and there should be a small area for business interaction, so that people can network. This would give two incentives to be at these events: to learn new things and to network.

There's certainly some truth there, but I'm reminded of the fact that what we have in common is what we don't do, like "non-stamp collectors." It's hard to organize a program around that. That said, I won't just give up on your thought.

"Non-stamp collectors" is exactly how I feel about this too. It's like herding cats, we're all most likely completely different, and have different morals and values than each other. Religious folk tend to at least share the same basic morals and ethics (or pretend to, at the very least)

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2964
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.