Agnostic.com

1 0

Life decisions

Faced a bit of a personal dilemma in the past few days - at the risk of sounding like I'm looking for an atta-boy, I'm wondering if anyone else has ever had such a decision they've made.

I'm currently between jobs. I'm in IT, and since being laid off during King George's recession 10 years ago, I have done nothing but contracting: a couple of disasters (jerk bosses) but mostly good experiences. I don't like contracting and would like to find a permanent position, but with the software/database development type of work that I do, contract roles always seems to be what comes up, and what with the high child support payments I'm obligated to make, I haven't had the luxury of waiting for the right job.

So a few weeks ago, a permanent position came up with Dow Chemicals that I would be a great fit for, and the location was close to home. The first thing that crossed my mind, as it would with any large chemical manufacturer, was their attitude about environmental issues and practices. Would I have to sell my soul to once again become gainfully employed? I decided that I didn't even know if I might be called in to interview, so why worry about it until then.

But I did get called back, and it prompted me to do a little research online. I googled "Dow Chemical environment" and the first article that springs up is how Dow was urging the Trump White House to ignore pesticide studies by government scientists (link: [fortune.com].

Well, I confess the decision wasn't immediate on my part, but it came pretty quickly: I could not in good conscious take that job and so declined the interview opportunity. So again, has anyone else ever had to face a decision like this? What would you have done?

godef 7 Feb 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Sorry that link doesn't work; just delete the last few characters back to the /

godef Level 7 Feb 27, 2018
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:29846
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.