Agnostic.com

3 2

What's wrong the "New Atheists"?

The "new atheists" have directed their campaign against a narrow segment of religion while failing to understand even that small part. Seeing religion as a system of beliefs, they have attacked it as if it was no more than an obsolete scientific theory. The idea that religion consists of a bunch of discredited theories is itself a discredited theory – a relic of the nineteenth-century philosophy of Positivism. The new atheists are unwitting disciples of Comte’s Positivist philosophy. It seems self-evident to them that religion is a primitive sort of science.

(from: John Gray: "Seven types of atheism" )

Matias 8 Mar 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My sentiments exactly!

skado Level 9 Mar 1, 2019

John Gray sounds like a very perceptive person. I’ll try to get that book.

The irony is that many or most atheists describe themselves as simply withholding belief in God. The “burden of proof” is supposed to be on the other side. Then they proceed with a slurring, hateful campaign against their opponents, setting forth numerous faulty arguments in a condescending manner, claiming openly that they themselves are superior in intelligence, courage, morality, mental health and just about everything else. I expect to read next that atheists are better looking than religious folks.

I can understand a degree of anger toward certain religious organizations, but attacking the people who belong to those organizations does nothing to address the God question.

Religion is primitive. Great for the week minded people.

zesty Level 7 Mar 1, 2019

@powder Nationalism has nothing to do with this topics. Atheists and agnostics are unquestionably superior to the religious people!

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:300792
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.