Agnostic.com

3 2

LINK Religion's Relationship to Happiness, Civic Engagement and Health | Pew Research Center

People who are active in religious congregations tend to be happier and more civically engaged than either religiously unaffiliated adults or inactive members of religious groups, according to a new Pew Research Center analysis of survey data from the United States and more than two dozen other countries.

Matias 8 Mar 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I guess it's that nice sense of belonging, having a support group and having some certainties in life. I think lots of people try to copy that on social media platforms but it might not work as well as the real thing.

From the article:

“Finally, it could also be that religious activity is associated with greater well-being simply because happier, healthier people have more inclination and ability to be active in their communities, including religious groups. People who are unhappy and struggling physically or financially generally may be more isolated and less able to engage in social activities.”

I lean toward thinking that this is the main reason for the findings. Sitting in church is not the CAUSE, for health, happiness, etc., but there is a correlation.

What I think is that deep awareness and appreciation for the magnificent reality that we experience gives us courage, joy, health, and motivation to live well. There is probably more of that kind of awareness among religious people, but they don’t hold exclusive rights to that attitude. A good many people who call themselves atheists are also deeply aware. There are those with a sullen, argumentive frame of mind in both camps.

Ignorance is bliss

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:301035
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.