Agnostic.com

3 1

The hypocrisy of praying for YOUR team to win.

NintyNine 4 Feb 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think it's a desperate gambit to rationalize the "effectiveness" of prayer. There is at least an even chance your team will win, or you'll find your missing car keys, or you won't have a car accident on this trip. But then you look at one of those stock photos of a starving child somewhere in the world and you know there's a near-zero chance they'll ever have a fully belly or a good life or any sort of outcome that might suggest a loving god or an answered prayer. So they cherry pick -- accentuate the positive and all that sort of thing.

If you pray to God for your team to win, you need to ask yourself what kind of a god you believe in.
Is God really a cosmic genie that exists for the purpose of granting our wishes? If such a god grants my prayers for my team to win, is God rejecting the prayers for the other team? If so, why? Is it because I am special? If I am so special, how did I get to be that way? Am I the Chosen One? Or, does God perform an arithmetic function based on the number of one team's prayers minus the others? If so, then God is like a cosmic computer. Even more importantly, why does God need us to tell Him what to do? Is God so indecisive that He can't make up His mind which team to "let" win until He listens to some prayers, especially mine? If so, in a sense, that makes me more powerful than God, since I make up His mind for Him. And If I am more powerful than God, then who should be praying to whom in the first place?

I believe if you have a god and pray to him asking your team to win is ridiculous. Truly a god has better things to do than to grant wishes like a fairy grants wishes. I understand gods are to be prayed to not tugged on for wishes.

Count Level 5 Feb 27, 2018
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:30109
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.