Agnostic.com

5 0

What is love?

Reading an interesting article on the differences of love, infatuation, and lust and the various stages in between.

while in my teens and 20s I had been in several relationships, most not lasting more than three months. I can not honestly say I ever felt love..

I think the first time I truly felt love was in the absence of it...when my father died..

It taught me the importance of prioritizing my immediate family and supporting them before they are on longer here and only live in my memories and dreams.

But in most cases the dissatisfaction of relationships was not necessarily the infatuation, lust/sex, or love. Rather where things became strained was in expectations, communication and or priorities on showing commitment through gifts and or expensive, elaborate dinners and vacations.

Still that is different from the other emotions highlighted.. certainly I am in tune with lust ... but this is always short lived and can not be used to maintain a relationship alone.

Infatuation?
Is this a feeling for the young?
Perhaps the mediocre or negative aspects of past relationships muting willingness to have infatuation for another.

The sense of desire, mostly associated with chemical reaction inter played with lust and randiness driving your behavior and attraction.

Seems to be something my analytical mind can't muster. Simply because I have so many people in my life who have ruined or given themselves significant hardship my being lead around by their infatuation and lust.

fools rush in and all that.

Don't get me wrong here.. I am not just one big pile of sour misgivings, dark and unforgiving with unrealisticly high standards and zero give.

Nah, tend to have low expectations of others but not in a manner where I look down on them or their decisions. Rather it is an anticipation of self interest or illogical self destruction. One where I hope, I am proven wrong.

Equally, not having any expectations or hopes of others helps you take in who they are and how they go about their lives. Taking their point if view and simply learning behavior, likes and hates provided some understanding.

That is where hope comes in.. that they will choose the beneficial path.

Is that being judgmental of others?

What aspects govern you relationships and how do you reconcile the conflict between or the absence of one or more?

[eharmony.com]

RobertFoley 6 Mar 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

By trying to define the word for myself, I also am left empty.
Either "love" through an ex-mate's eyes is extremely shallow compared to the depth of MINE, or it is simple speculation.

It is constantly having to say you're sorry. 🙂

Love has to be a step beyond infatuation and lust, in my opinion. It is cherishing the company of another person and enjoying the time spent with them, no matter what you're doing together. It is wanting good things to happen for that person and supporting them when times are tough for them. Being that shoulder to cry on or to lean on. And knowing they'll do the same for you. Conflicts have to be approached as a normal part of human relationships and resolved without bitterness against those we love. If you don't feel cherished, desired, and appreciated, it isn't love.

Poets, playwrights, and philosophers have been trying to answer this since the dawn of civilization....

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:301991
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.