Agnostic.com

21 2

Is it really too much the norm that the guy "makes the first move" that the woman can't?

Pfr1998 5 Feb 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

21 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Nope. I've never been asked out; I always made the first move and I'm batting a thousand. I was born in 1981. I don't understand why grown-up people don't just ask for what they want.

I agree, so young, I got married in 1979, now I feel really old.

You'd be surprised how many guys like a woman to make the first move, particularly since the #meetoo movement. It dispenses with the guesswork. I'm no Brad Pitt, but have been hit on by dozens of women throughout my life, so you shouldn't be shy to make the first move.

For me it's because I'm shy. I read too much into things. I fear rejection. I am lazy. There are a lot of factors as to why I wait for the other person first, but none of it is from ingrained societal expectations and sexism.

Not in my book.

In fact, just the other day I was asked to go on break with a gal... wanted to, but she smokes. Talked to her about it after. I may well join her, or see about lunch/dinner or something... I just don't want her smoking while I am with her. Note: she told me she is trying to quit and down to 2 cigarettes a day... I just hate what smoke does to me. I like what she does for me (seeing her, nothing more, brightens my day and that is a good sign).

My god dude! If just seeing her brightens your day AND she wants to spend time with you then GRAB HER! You'll have all the time in the world to help (not force) her quit smoking but if you don't grab her soon then someone else will, opportunities do not last very long.

Humor:

My god man! Do you KNOW what will happen to me in 'Murica if I just GRAB her! Oh, wait, what's his name is in charge... they might give me a medal? 🙂

Serious: I know. However, I largely only see her Saturdays. This Saturday I am going to ask about going for food, or some such. She has a youngun though, and that has to be calculated in. Ie: I can't expect her to just hie off with me for hours on end without having arrangements made to care for him. In short, I can't plan on spontaneity... but that can be worked around rather readily and she might well appreciate the fact that I am keeping not just her but her budding family in mind. 🙂

My norm is the women make the 1st move, I am too slow, though most women give up before I realise they are interested.
Did I mention I have been single a long time?

From some of your responses, I have to conclude that very few (or no?) women have tried the direct approach with you, such as "Hey, I think you're interesting; want to go on a date with me?" or "Fancy a shag?". I never beat around the bush or minced words. There was no "missing" my signals because I wasn't using semaphore--i spelled it out in English. 😉

@stinkeye_a no, certainly never THAT direct, my ex was a coworker and asked me to go as her plus 1 for a birthday dinner with her parents. Partner no 2 was a bit more direct, she suggested at a conference we should save the company money and get one room, and before dinner offered me a massage. That was about the most direct. and it worked.

I would definately prefer the attention from the lady considering how shy i am. all my friends always say how they like that. it sounds harsh, but they should prove it. 😉 they just don't prove it to ME

I don't really like it. It is a simple matter of, If I want B to occur, A must occur first. So just do it.

Some women are brilliant in polite rejections that make you feel like you didn't lose. They get it. They know you stuck my neck out and appreciate it even if it's not going to happen. They want you to approach them the way they'd like to imagine their brother approaching a friend of theirs.

I can and I do If I am in the mood 🙂

Sacha Level 7 Feb 28, 2018

I'm too awkward to make the first move lol.

I think societal expectations put it so a man makes the first move. Personally I don't think gender should play a role in it. If the heart wants it, why not make the first move regardless of your gender?

MrOhm Level 4 Feb 28, 2018

I ask guys out about as often as I am asked out.

Whatever works for you. If you want him go get him. I failed mind reading school. And like most men I'm not good at hints either.

It took me a while to be able to make the first move! I am okay with it now, but still makes me nervous.

My first girlfriend made the first move. The second, it was kinda mutual, and the third says that we essentially went out on a couple dates and then I just moved in, lol. I am married to that one.

I like to get to know a person before putting romance into the mix, if I can help it, lol. I get attached very easily though and that's kinda a pain in the rear. Not just to people either... one time we fostered a great dane, and I became attached in just a few days... we gave her up after only a week and I cried and cried about it.

Hell, I just got a little misty eyed talking about it!

Stupid emotions! LOL.

In regards to the actual question at hand, screw the norm and do what feels right to you! Throw all the baggage aside and seize the day (not literally, or get into trouble!)

Culturally, that may have been the case for a long time, however, times are changing. I have been blindsided by ladies who have made the first move because I never realized they were interested and likewise I have missed opportunities with those who were interested but waiting for me to move first.

SOMEONE should speak up. If no one makes the first move, opportunities may be lost.

Whew! I sure wish that wasn’t the norm. I think it is slowly becoming more common for women to take the first step. I know for a guy like me who is introverted when it comes to asking a lady out, it’s liberating when she approaches me first. I’m trying to be more assertive and comfortable talking to women, that’s why I’m on this site. Gotta start somewhere!

I have no problem with the woman making the first move. It takes all the pressure off of me. I don't have to worry if she's not into me or if I'm being too aggressive. It's nice for us guys to know that we're wanted too.

Here's the end of almost every dating profile I have:

"Want to get to know each other and see if there’s a connection? Send me a message. If you think I should be the person to reach out because that’s the way it’s supposed to be, or because that’s the way it’s always been, or because a gentleman should always make the first move, you’re a victim of societal programming and I’m not interested.

Show me you want something different. I can’t wait to meet you."

You would be surprised. In most cases it has nothing to do with "social programming" but with the rejection many women had to endure. No, I am not talking about "She asked and was rejected" no, I am talking about "rejection by being ignored".

Ouch. Yes, men can be incredibly insensitive. And self-centered. And cruel. So much of that has been because of societal programming. It starts with "big boys don't cry" and "knock it off or I'll give you something to cry about" and continues from there. We're all subjected to programming all our lives from everywhere. Only in being aware of it can we overcome it.

Women are programmed to tolerate the intolerable. It's difficult to overcome but it can be done. It takes great strength and resolve, and is completely worth it.

Thank you for your response. It's making me rethink my profile's end.

I know that I would enjoy being asked out. I sometimes do get asted out on dating sites but 99% of the time it is by women who are 10 years older then me ,really out of shape and looking like my grandma. Very discouraging to say the least! 50/50 is th best!

I'm an Autistic introvert who grew up in a Conservative Christian household. Um, what to blame? I can't tell if someone's even interested, so what would I go off to ask?

A college boyfriend 20 some years ago said I didn't know a guy was interested until he stuck his dick in my mouth. I replied that I generally got the idea when he started pulling his zipper down.

I haven't really improved in reading a situation much since then.

screw normal. Be like P.A.G.A.N.

Who stopped you from making the first step?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:30207
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.