Agnostic.com

9 3

Historical religious education in schools

How much, if any, historical religious education should happen in public/ charter schools?

I was informed today that my daughter would be learning this week about Judaism, Christianity and Muslim faiths from an historical perspective. This includes, but not limited to, how they formed and that we should respect different faiths. I take issue with her learning this in her classroom. Especially, the respecting faiths part. Am I being too harsh or am I justified in standing my ground?

My perspective is that I respect a person's right, as afforded to them by our government, to worship (or not) as they wish. This does not mean we must respect the religions though. I think these subjects are best left out of a 1st grade classroom setting.

I do plan to discuss religions with my daughter and will educate her on how and why they formed. This will include going back 10's of thousands of years to the earliest spiritual ideas to show how people borrowed beliefs from others then evloved them to meet their needs and culture over time.

Thoughts?

AnthonyP 5 Nov 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I've always thought it was an individual decision and shouldn't be forced. If my children were interested, I'd let them choose, but would advise them to see others perspectives and learn about all religions/ideology and then choose. As for learning about most religions for historical reasons, I think that is fine. And as for respecting them all, well I respect everyone's personal choice, but don't have to agree with it. I do think grade 1 is a bit early to be learning about religion in school.

LizL Level 5 Jan 30, 2018

About 20 years ago, I took a high school course in "World History", which included short segments on major world religions, including Buddhism, Hinduism, Confusious, and that's all I can remember. It was actually my first introduction into non-Christian theology and it set me on the path to Agnosticism (free-thought).

Some Christians wanted to be excused from that portion of the class, because apparently learning about other beliefs was against their beliefs. lol

I'd check with the school and make sure the class isn't just covering those 3, and leaving the other major religions, like Pastafarianism, out. 😉

1st grade?!?!? WTF?!??! What is wrong with the school system and why do any parents support it, that's my question, sheesh.

I find the word tolerant is a good substitute for respect in this case. We are talking about history. Learning something doesn’t require respect. I raised my son in a multicultural predominantly gay neighborhood in Southern California. I simply encouraged curiosity and set an example. My son is now 22 and one of the kindest people I’ve ever met.

I think it would be great if done properly. However, I know it won't be. They'll probably hire some Christian teacher who'll add their own bias to it much like our american history teachers.

Religions don't deserve respect. Some day, each deity based religion will be downgraded to cult status before eventually making it's way to mythology.

I'd have some questions for school administration about what they teach, specifically, about respecting different faiths. If it's coming from a position of religious rights and safety for the devout, I'd have no problem with it. If it's stronger and the message is that no faith-based belief should ever be criticized, there would be a serious discussion between me and the school about this faux tolerance and abdication of critical thinking skills. Otherwise, I think it's a good idea to show the gamut of major religions, throughout history as well as contemporary, and to provide details about how, where, and when they formed, their impact (good and bad) on society, etc. I think it needs to be a dispassionate approach to history and sociology, but overall I think it is healthy to see the competing views and I think it reduces the chance that a child will decide that one is "truth" over other faith-based claims.

It is important to teach the evolution of human mythology.
Unfortunately when we label it religion, it opens the door for bias.
On the bright side, it sets up discussion between child and parent.

mzee Level 7 Nov 7, 2017

Learning about religion from both a historical and a current affairs prospective is an important part of an education. However first grade is early for this; high school or perhaps junior high is more appropriate. This education should also include more than just the monotheistic Abrahamic faiths. To the credit of my high school my 9th grade experience in this matter was broad and fair as one would expect in NY State.

sol65 Level 3 Nov 7, 2017

It was 10th grade for me, in Texas, and covered the major world religions. I'm pretty sure the state was more secular in the early 80's than it is now in 2017.

I don't like the idea at all.
Right now we already have Christian teachers trying to sneak their religion into the curriculum without the permission of the school boards or the parents.

I see no reason historical or otherwise why religion should be anywhere near our public schools.
The parents who want their kids to learn this crap can take them to a church where they'll be more than happy to fill their heads with it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:3026
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.