Agnostic.com

6 2

I don't believe in the concept of "soulmates", as most of us will meet more than one very compatible human, as we move along our path.

And if we lose a mate, no matter how incredibly difficult the aftermath, most go on to find another.

Yet, I have found myself in the middle of some very spirited discussions about whether or not animals have souls - or whatever you wish to call that life force - that clear intelligence and knowing.
Having worked with animals in varying capacities, most of my life, I strongly feel there is so much more to an animals existence than merely instinct and/or responses towards us. And I speak of all species, domesticated and wild. For me, there is a light in their eyes , when one truly connects with an animal, and meets their gaze, that easily compares to the deepest moments with another human.

What say you ?

evergreen 8 Nov 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

As an active secularists I fully support a movement to try and remove words that have religious connotations and "soul" is a biggie. I prefer to term it inner being or even personality.
Answer to the first part: I agree. However, one special mate can have attributes that enhance the relationship yet at the same time other relationships can have attributes that can enhance the relationship in a different way; no one way is the perfect way.
Of course animals have personalities and the more sentient the being the more pronounced the personality. I have had cats and dogs and each one had a distinct personality. I live across the street from a pony farm. Right now there are 4 donkeys that reside there. When a car passes the farm each one responds in a different way in a different voice (people who have heard this always remark: what in the world was that)? Has anyone heard crows? I have noticed there are some that literally talk to others in an unmistakable way. I will stop and listen and wonder what they are saying.

I can see your point and raise it can an animal be a soul mate

why not ?

I believe YOU used the word "soulmates" and yes we can haave more than one

yes I did - but in a different context . I don't believe that a single soulmate exists. Not everyone we become involved with is at the same level of attachment.

I do believe in the soul mate concept. I have had many relationships and actually thought the last one was my soul mate. The concept wasnt proven false, my choice in Dawn was.

I have worked with and trained animals all of my life, mammals have varying degrees of awareness, emotion, and problem solving abilities. They also display varying level of individuality what some people consider as there "personality". They also form relationship with other animal within their species and outside of it. As their intelligence increases they abilities to overcome basic instincts increases but so, do their emotions.
Birds are very different than us mammals their minds work far differently: problem solving abilities are generally much greater as are their responses more affected by instinct. They, too, display uniqueness.
As for the concept of soulmate, I agree with you a soulmate is just an extremely compatible individual to you.

Yes, I don't believe in souls or soulmates, but I do believe that many animals are closer to us in self-awareness and emotional richness than many of us give them credit for. I am fascinated by communication with Koko, evidence of elephants' grieving, and the recent discovery that dolphins have names in their sonar language (i.e., a particular call sequence that always refers to a particular individual).

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:3058
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.