Agnostic.com

3 3

LINK Humanist marriages 'least likely to end in divorce' - BBC News

In Scotland, Humanist marriage are 4 times more likely to succeed than civil marriages. 3 times more likely to succeed than Roman Catholic marriages, and 2 times more likely to succeed than Church of Scotland weddings, so say the statistics for this article.

It is thought this might be due to strongly held similar values and/or that humanists tend to be "older and richer" according to the article.

Here in America, I was married in a civil ceremony, and it ended in divorce 29 years later. Both of us were raised Catholic, but differed greatly in basic human values and world view. This is partly why I am happy to be a Humanist celebrant helping couples be married in accordance to shared values.

Julie808 8 Mar 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's always a crap-shoot to me. Only long-term relationship I've had as an adult is with my terrier. I think he's leave but I feed him a lot so he's kinda dependent.

We isolated Atheists had trouble enough finding a gawdless spouse why pretend the grass is greener or get greedy and be polygamous

Thanks for posting this! Absolutely fascinating, and in a way, it makes sense.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:307770
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.