Agnostic.com

13 0

Which philosophical doctrine do you follow?

In other words they can be atheist/agnostic philosophies (e.g. nihilism), moral philosophies ( e.g. ultruism), religions ect.

Selah613 5 Sep 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

years ago during the 60's revolution I read Marx and Mao and have tried to stay tuned into a Marxist philosophy. After all I think it was marx and engels who originally came up with the saying, "religion is the opiate of the masses".

I've studied both Taoism and Humanism, and adopt much of both. I'm also a naturalist, and I think Nietzsche had many profound insights.

Secular Humanist

gearl Level 8 Oct 25, 2017

I think the epicurians had much to recommend them.

Do unto others....

Love yourself and do what makes you happy in life (as long as that isn't ya know, murdering kittens or something). Don't let other people tell you how to live your life (within reason, doesn't mean run around Walmart naked).

Well I don't know, some look better naked than others lol

How many are there

I've come to appreciate Stoicism. I also like Taoism, but I feel that Stoicism kind of expands the Tao. I've found that I'm much happier when I consider that there is much I cannot change, and I can improve myself to be more capable of handling hardship.

Atheism

I don't really subscribe to a specific philosophy. I try to draw on the best aspects of different schools of thought, but even then I can't say I adhere to one consistently. Humanism, perhaps. I have a soft-spot for some of the existentialists like Buber and Kierkegaard, so maybe I have some inclination there...ultimately, my philosophy can be described as humanistic, altruistic, and just a little bit pragmatic.

Jacque Fresco who Engineered the Venus Project. Was why I made a Post for a youtube that tells a bit about it. The idea was that is were my Philosophical Ideas are in and my Political ideas are in as well. Jacque Fresco past away earlier this year 2017. (Think back in February?) He was 91 years old. He was Atheist/Agnostic and probably why religious folks didn't like and accept his ideal ways for us as social ways of engineering for our world. Also I like the Eastern Sanskrit ways on Spiritual living.

I am fond of existential humanism. I am a secular Buddhist, and I find this fits well with my Zen practice.

Meep Level 1 Sep 30, 2017

Did you look at Confucianism and Taoism?

I sat and thought about this for a bit, I decided on five main doctrines I follow:

1. holism: doctrine that parts of any "thing" must be understood in relation to the whole
  2. humanitarianism: the doctrine that the highest moral obligation is to improve human welfare.
  3. empiricism: the doctrine that the experience of the senses is the only source of knowledge.
  4. fallibilism: the doctrine that empirical knowledge is uncertain
    and I agree with atheist 5) Epicureanism: mental pleasure was regarded more highly than physical, and the ultimate pleasure was held to be freedom from anxiety and mental pain, especially that arising from needless fear of death and of the gods.
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:308
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.