Agnostic.com

5 0

QUESTION SC Republicans: Allowing same-sex marriages equates to creating national religion

COLUMBIA, S.C. (WCIV) —

In 1961, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled it's illegal to make people say they believe in God to get government jobs. Justice Hugo Black, writing the majority opinion, added a footnote in that decision calling Secular Humanism a religion.

Based on that footnote, several South Carolina lawmakers in a newly filed bill argue the federal government has illegally established a national favored religion by recognizing same-sex and other so-called "parody" marriages.

The bill is called the Marriage and Constitution Restoration Act. It holds that the federal government has violated the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, because it forces states to recognize Secular Humanism as a national religion by recognizing same-sex marriages.

zblaze 7 Mar 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

How did the Judge come to his conclusion? Was it just an attempt to crewl actual freedom from religion?

This effort will never gain traction for the simple reason that way too many churches conduct, recognize and/or bless same sex unions. Secular Humanism cannot be singled out here, as houses of worship and their clergy in many states were performing same sex marriages before the eventual Supreme Court ruling.

As if they had a problem with a national religion...

Seriously. Same sex marriage isn't a religion it's personal freedom of choice. Dosent you're United States constitution have something in it like liberty and freedom for all. If so I'd take that to encompass all whether they be. White, black, Hispanic, Catholic, hindu, Jewish, Muslim, tall, thin, fat, skinny, ugly, gorgeous, straight, gay, lesbian, transgender, man, woman or child. Please if any of these terms are wrong forgive me but my meaning is crystal clear if I'm right and I usually am if the constitution state the above in whatever wording then bitching about some random law from a bygone era is just poppycock.

So because people don't believe in their bullshit fairytale, it's a religion? Lol

That's right up there with the most asinine crap I've ever heard. Why is their reasoning for being moral any better than anyone who doesn't believe in their fairytale?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:30831
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.