Agnostic.com

10 3

What does 'spiritual' actually mean?

I'm sure this has been discussed here before but I would be interested to know, specifically, what 'spirituality' means to those who are both atheists and claim to be spiritual. I'm not after dictionary definitions here, we know what the dictionary says, I'm interested in how people reject one type of supernatural power (god or gods) but are happy to adopt another; the 'spirit' or 'soul'. So, when an atheist claims to be spiritual, what does s/he mean?

NickNakorn 6 Mar 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

i noticed that you deleted your part of a little controversy we had on your question. just to let you know what i think of this kind of control or censorship, for want of a better term: weird 😉

I am not going to try to ‘define’ spiritual, but only try to explain what it means to me. We are all different after all, and I walk my own path, as you do yours.

I think of it as a way to describe my feelings of connectedness to every living thing, and I like to imagine we become again a part of that life force upon death, possibly dispersing as pure energy to be used again and again. Also as a way to describe any possible connection to those who’ve gone before us, who may or may not be hanging around still or that might influence us in our lives, guiding or warning us of impending danger. Guardians, ancestors and such.

I’ve had, and have heard others describe incidents that make you feel like something/someone connected with you that you cannot explain. It has happened recently. I feel that by acknowledging something extraordinary happening, and being open to it in the future as well, I might have a stronger connection to it than some.

I do not know how to name it, other than calling it ‘spritual’ in nature. It just defies explanation, usually. Maybe by saying I’m spiritual is simply saying I am keeping a channel open for guidance, no matter where it is actually coming from. My own spirit/soul/consciousness being actively receptive, and trying to listen.

This came across my Fbook feed yesterday, and aligns pretty well with how I personally feel.

I don't want to be 'spiritual'. Because it's meaningless & also used by religious people as a 'get out clause' when they're embarrassed that you're not religious - "Oh dear - but are you a spiritual person then?". No, I am not. I'm a human who feels emotion. End of.

I claim it to have the belief system that we are all one. What I do affects you in one way or another so I try to be kind and understanding. Non-judgmental and open minded. Tolerant and patient. Believing that there is no purpose in living in fear other than to justify atrocities and division from one another.
That is just my belief difference when it comes to being spiritual versus believing in dogma.

So spiritual is just empathy. Why not use a word people understand for a phenomenon we understand?

I guess I see more in what I wrote than can be summed up in the one word of just empathy.
When I say that I believe that we are all one it conjures the concept that I cannot burn coal to the degree that China does and then think that the United States across the world won’t be affected.That when I take a gun and shoot up a high school that high schoolers all across America won’t be affected.
So I suppose the one word of empathy while powerful CANT fully encompass the power that one person may derive from it.
One can have empathy for someone but still lack tolerance for the way they live...even the way they speak.
I suppose the easiest way I know how to put it is when we start to discuss phenomena we open ourselves up to philosophy which can be interpreted in a more malleable way where empathy actually ISNT a word that EVERYONE understands as you put it.@Uncorrugated

Where did I write everyone understands empathy? I also dispute that anyone can be non-judgemental' We make judgements everyday - we judge whether behaviour is acceptable or moral and a host of other things. Just because I understand why people live or behave in a particular way, doesn't mean I condone or tolerate that behaviour (ISIS anyone?) Burning fossil fuels and understanding its global effect has nothing to do with empathy, it is an understanding of science.

I cannot see anything in your reply which cannot be explained by naturalistic explanations. I do not call myself spiritual, but still experience and understand all of the things you have described.

I am still no closer to understanding what is spiritual. Sorry.

Damn it...lol...I just wrote a really long response that got erased when I added a photo.
....and I just don’t have it in me to rewrite it...lol
@Uncorrugated

@Cbabcoco

It's happened to me too. I add the photo first these days and type afterwards!

i will have an answer once you rephrase your post into something resembling impartiality.

@Nanachu, & you did it again 😀 "how does one overcome the cognitive dissonance?" you are clearly coming from a position where being a spiritual atheist is a contradiction. i am not that small or narrow-minded as to allow for Nature to breathe spirit everywhere i look, every wood i walk, every river i swim, everywhere i turn without acknowledging this & being in awe of it. that is my spirituality. i do not believe - i observe the spirit that allows for water molecules to respond to meditation, for plants to thrive with attention, for the universal language of love. that is my spirituality as an atheist, a non-godbeliever.

we often use the word spiritual/spirit to refer to: greater than self/integrity

As I've said before, ask ten people to define "spiritual" and you'll get 12 definitions.

There's nothing wrong with an atheist thinking about meaning and purpose and ethics and morality and figuring out how they want to live and how to make sense of those questions. Some would call this a "spiritual" concern but I would not use that word. Most people can't separate it from the supernatural and the religious.

Then again ... it's possible, technically, for a person to not believe in any god(s) and yet to think they have a spirit and are immortal and all sorts of other things. It's not logically consistent, but then, humans don't have a good reputation for that.

There IS a book out by Andre Compte-Sponville titled "The Little Book of Atheist Spirituality" which to my recollection talks mostly about the so-called Great Virtues and why one would aspire to them -- and other ways to derive a moral code and find purpose and meaning apart from religion. I don't recall that the book (which I read many years ago) used the term "spirituality" ironically. I think it was aimed at people who want to salvage some kind of idealism / transcendence from the ruins of their unbelief. I just think its wrong to call that "spirituality". But on the other hand I don't know of an alternative word that is widely understood and used, either. Humanism, perhaps?

Humanism has an academic quality to it that a lot of people don’t realize.
It is possible not to believe in a God per se but believe in the science that energy is neither created nor destroyed therefore lives on in a different form which none of us can SAY that we understand but may feel on an instinctual level or from a guttural perspective. This can also lead to the times when people apply spiritual to the action of what they understand to be moral or humane.

@Cbabcoco Energy is neither created or destroyed but it DOES change forms and changing forms generally destroys the information represented in the original form; this is what people quoting this bromide always forget. In a sense if I set a pile of flammable things on fire I do not destroy them, they just "change form". But the resulting heat and gasses dispersed in the atmosphere no longer represent the items I originally burned and cannot be recovered back into that form. They are no longer recognizable as what they used to be. The same is true of the human body; it's not destroyed when it dies, but it rots and even bones eventually return to dust, and you're not going to recognize the original person's shell or even the form of an organic being after the passage of enough time. There's no reason to think this isn't true of consciousness -- and in fact a TON of reasons to think it IS.

Woo. They wish to believe that there is some "other" power to tap into, for advice, comfort etc. Imaginary friends die hard.

I'll second that. I too have no idea what people mean when they talk about spritual.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:30845
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.