Agnostic.com

22 3

What gives your life meaning?

bleurowz 8 Mar 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

22 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Learning new things, spending time with my loved ones, and travel.

"If we crave some cosmic purpose, then let us find ourselves a worthy goal."

• Carl Sagan
Marz Level 7 Mar 2, 2018

My needs. I take simple joy from eating, breathing clean air, the peace found from sitting a toliet, talking with others and my dreams at night. Why not enjoy what we are wired to enjoy.

I usually feel that life is kind of meaningless and pointless. This may be due to my depression though; I'm not sure. But I do know I don't really have any purpose right now. I'm not even sure what I would like to make my purpose. But I think I need to find one.

Maybe I should view it differently, as the opportunity to choose those things that will give my life meaning, It's not Life itself that has meaning; it's OUR lives that have meaning (when we create our own meaning).

It is. Knowing that, what do you do then? That is kind of the real question I think

@Loudpaintings Maybe I should view it differently, as the opportunity to choose those things that will give my life meaning, It's not Life itself that has meaning; it's OUR lives that have meaning (when we create our own meaning).

In Humanistc Psychology the search is not for the meaning OF life, but for the meaning IN life, which is what we create ourselves. Essentially what you said @MST3K.

@MST3K I agree with that. It is the 100% indelible freedom that people pretend they want but actually do not seek. Being that free is lonely and scary, but there is really no going back once you're here. Start doing everything you were ever afraid to do! It's exciting

By the way, I suffer from really bad depression as well. I gained 170 lbs in 3 years. I'm doing a lot better now. Even used the weight to my advantage. The freedom aspect is what has been my driving force to get better and enjoy life the best I can.

Art. Ingesting, discussing, or creating it. In all its forms.

Taking something meaningless and finding value in it. Some art is functional, but most is typically modifying something beyond its functionality to make it "special".

Those feelings that people call "spiritual" are things I seek, but I do not believe I have a soul or spiritual essence. But that feeling, that I think many misinterpret, I get when I am awed by another's creativity. That is what gives me the most meaning.

Interpersonal relationships as well. Am I a good son? A good brother? A good friend? A good boyfriend? A good pet owner? A good teacher? I think about all the other other beings in my life and how well I am performing those roles. Money is actually an abstract thing, and although modern society uses that as a measuring stick for success, it is not actually real. If you were to approach a tribe who has no experience with civilization, they will have no idea what money is; however, they will understand what a friend is, what family is, and what teaching is. I find those to be more valuable since they are universal concepts, so how well I am doing in my relationships gives my life meaning by the feelings I get to share with others.

In Summary, Art and People =)

I like to make myself useful. When I say a kind word and their faces light up, I feel useful. When I donate time or money to a group that promotes human rights, I feel useful.

SKH78 Level 8 Mar 1, 2018

Fighting for those that can't fight for themselves. Screaming loudly in the middle of this god forsaken state so that someone crying alone might hear and know they aren't alone, and that someone out there is fighting with all they have for them.

DONUTS!

Everything! I try to enjoy every minute. The meaning comes from looking forward to the next experience.

It is simple to me. I find meaning in nature.

I'm still looking for something, honestly

My kids, pets, gardens, in that order, after that being surrounded by more living things.

My children, my job which is being a chef, so it started out as a calling, and motorcycles.

The continual need to challange myself to new hights

Lots of things: my children, my grandchildren, music, sunrises, sunsets, thunderstorms, stimulation from this site.

The things I experience and the people I meet!!!!...if, in my life, I only had myself, I would be a lonely and sad person!!!

This is an ill defined question. ...my life is defined by my choices my inheritance ( DNA & family education & nurturing ) and my political vision. ... I need no "what" to know my meaning

Attempting to become something bigger than myself.

Teaching Tai Chi to people and seeing their health and confidence improve and generally being as decent and helpful person as I can possibly be while making sure that I'm looking after myself my best friends and my dogs first and not over investing my time with lost causes

I can sometimes find meaning in life ... sometimes I have pleasant interaction with strangers. One such time, I spoke with an immigant from Northern Africa. She was crying and her hands were shaking, under heavy stress. I sat down beside her and greeted her in one of her native languages (arabic). Her stress level decreased noticably. She calmed herself and was able to speak. Her accent was heavy, so I took her to the floor where the translaters were. I assured her I would wait with her til he came. We spent 10 minutes chatting it up. I told her about my trip to Egypt and shared the Arabic words I had leaned. She began smiling and looking pleased and calm. When the translater came, it was my time to leave, the woman, now very cheerfull, embraced me and exclaimed "You are my sister!" In her culture, when she calls me her sister, it means that I have won her trust, means that I have built a bridge. I enjoy bridge building.

SKH78 Level 8 Mar 2, 2018

Trying to be happy without hurting anyone .

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:30987
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.