Agnostic.com

13 15

Mindgasms

I stand at the seashore, alone, and start to think. There are the rushing waves ... mountains of molecules, each stupidly minding its own business ... trillions apart ... yet forming white surf in unison.

Ages on ages ... before any eyes could see ... year after year ... thunderously pounding the shore as now. For whom, for what? ... on a dead planet, with no life to entertain. Never at rest ... tortured by energy ... wasted prodigiously by the sun ... poured into space. A mite makes the sea roar. Deep in the sea, all molecules repeat the patterns of one another till complex new ones are formed. They make others like themselves ... and a new dance starts.

Growing in size and complexity ... living things, masses of atoms, DNA, protein ... dancing a pattern ever more intricate. Out of the cradle onto the dry land ... here it is standing ... atoms with consciousness ... matter with curiosity. Stands at the sea ... wonders at wondering ... I ... a universe of atoms ... an atom in the universe.

The same thrill, the same awe, and mystery come again and again when we look at any problem deeply enough. With more knowledge comes deeper, more wonderful mystery, luring one on to penetrate deeper still. Never concerned that the answer may prove disappointing, but with pleasure and confidence we turn over each new stone to find unimagined strangeness leading on to more wonderful questions and mysteries -- certainly a grand adventure! [...]

But I would like not to underestimate the value of the worldview which is the result of scientific effort. We have been led to imagine all sorts of things infinitely more marvelous than the imaginings of poets and dreamers of the past. It shows that the imagination of nature is far, far greater than the imagination of man.

For instance, how much more remarkable it is for us to be stuck -- half of us upside down -- by a mysterious attraction, to a spinning ball that has been swinging in space for billions of years, than to be carried on the back of an elephant supported on a tortoise swimming in a bottomless sea. [...]

This is what it means when one discovers how long it takes for the atoms of the brain to be replaced by other atoms, to note that the thing which I call my individuality is only a pattern or dance. The atoms come into my brain, dance a dance, then go out; always new atoms but always doing the same dance, remembering what the dance was yesterday. [...]

What, then, is the meaning of it all? What can we say to dispel the mystery of experience? If we take everything into account, not only what the ancients knew, but all of what we know today that they didn't know, then I think that we must frankly admit that we do not know. But in admitting this, we have probably found the open channel.

Of all its many values, the greatest must be the freedom to doubt.

~ Richard P. Feynman ( The Value of Science )

Happy Friday. Hoping everyone has a great weekend. 🙂

VictoriaNotes 9 Mar 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

what a likeable person.

I hadn't heard of Richard Feynman and am sorry to hear he's deceased. I really enjoyed this and have forwarded it to others who will appreciate it. Why must everything be in sound bites or it isn't looked at, read, thought about, and or understood?

Dear Ms. Notes,

It's quite a shame that Dr. Feynmann's philosophy (as touched upon in your excerpt) is shared by such a tiny minority in this world, instead, being rejected and supplanted by an unfathomable illogic of superstition and the baseless supernatural.

Oh, Bartleby. Oh, Humanity!

Curiosity isn’t a disease that has to be cured because the unknown makes one fearful. Some truth is believable, but a “historical” belief answering a question without a verifiable answer is snake oil. So here we are. Thanks for the review Victoria – very nice!

jeffy Level 7 Mar 3, 2018

The seas are truly astounding . We are so insignificant

oh, how very precious! thank you so much for this gift.

Sometimes when I'm feeling down, contemplating the amazing-ness of the universe helps me to feel more positive about the world.

Is this an exercise in mental masturbation?

@VictoriaNotes chuckle, chuckle, he said masturbation.

Beautiful! Thanks. Anybody know who he was talking with in #8?

skado Level 9 Mar 2, 2018

Thanks, @VictoriaNotes

The comment I recently made on the Salish Sea demonstrated, in glorious pictures, a lot of those minute details in the processes of life. I think some of us have access to this kind of information and can better appreciate the complexities of the world, not only the living but the non-living as well. Even within us things are going on of which we cannot comprehend (but we are learning more and more).

I consider myself very lucky in being in a place (timewise, geographical and personal) that helps me connect with all this complexity and awe. Unfortunately, many others are not and that disconnect is creating real problems for a myriad of complex and amazing life forms

Love this. Thanks for sharing.

He needs to write another one about the islands of plastic garbage and oil and sewage polution...
Sorry, I get worked up about pollution.!

Very deep for a Friday, Vic. I will now go stare at a blad of grass for a few hours. Beach is too far.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:31299
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.