Agnostic.com

9 0

When did you become a non believer and why?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was born an unbeliever ... managed to hang on ever since .

1963...I was in a bar in Yokohama with My Japanese G/F...It was a gay bar and I became angry. Asked Myself why...I had been in a school in England (Christian based) where I was taught that homosexuality was a Sin. I quit Christianity that day and married My Japanese G/F. problem solved.

As of yet, there is no necessity for a higher power to be considered. If anything, the consideration is flawed because you're basing the existence on nothing more than ancient text written by mortals

My whole life, I was born that way, my whole family are not Christian.

Sacha Level 7 Mar 2, 2018

Last wednesday.

It was on my bucket list of fun things to do on a wet Wednesday in Wigan....

🙂 🙂 🙂

I always had doubts, and felt like I was praying to a hole from which nothing ever came back. Because of my upbringing I was convinced this was my fault. Furthermore because I was raised in a strict Baptist church they said that my doubts meant I was going to tell because with Baptists everything is you going to hell. So it was a heady mixture of fear and doubt that never got lighter.

Fast forward to my philosophy course in which we were talking about morality and divine command theory. Talking about god based morality just set me off and I was like screw this. Either god doesn't exist or god is evil. If he doesn't exist I won't believe. If he does exist and hea sending me to tell anyway what's it matter?

I still haven't completely shaken off that fear of hell instilled in me. But I did get an A on a capstone written on the problem of evil haha.

I first questioned the religion I was born into
( Christianity) when I was very young probably when I was around 8 or 9 ,it just didn't ring true . I have always been passionate about English history and this revolves around Kings Queens and religion. If you look into how much misery and gruesome deaths in the name of ridiculous beliefs and how the church of England was brought about due the family values of Henry the eighth, what a low life that man was. To.this day the church of England is headed by Queen Elizabeth the second admitted she doesn't chop people's heads off or burn people at the stake but I bet she would like to .

Agreed.

I attended a Christian Brothers school. I was assigned a term paper in a science class. Since my brother studied biology in college we had a bunch of books on evolution and biology. By the time I'd done my research for the paper I was firmly in the non-believer camp.

It was on my first day at school, back when it was law that all schoolchildren had to be subjected to religious instruction every day. As the headmistress read out that day's bit of the Bible, I thought to myself "yeah, right." I've been a non-believer ever since!

Jnei Level 8 Mar 2, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:31338
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.