Agnostic.com

3 1

LINK 12,000 Doctors Urge the USDA to Issue Dairy Warning | LIVEKINDLY

"... according to PCRM, dairy serves as the biggest contributor of saturated fat in the American diet. Current U.S. dietary guidelines recommend avoiding saturated fat to decrease the risk of heart disease.

“It’s time for the Dietary Guidelines to finally make it clear to Americans that dairy products are dangerous,” Susan Levin, M.S., R.D., PCRM’s director of nutrition education said in a statement. “The Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee can’t ignore the scientific evidence against dairy when it makes its recommendations to the USDA and HHS.”

PCRM warns of other risks connected to dairy consumption including several types of cancer, cardiovascular disease, cognitive decline, and early death. The group also points to misinformation surrounding dairy and bone health. More readily absorbable forms of calcium and magnesium can be found in beans, leafy green vegetables such as broccoli, kale, and spinach, tofu, bread, and fortified cereals, the group notes. It also recommends fruits and vegetables as healthier sources of potassium and sourcing vitamin D from direct exposure to sunlight or fortified foods such as vegan milk."

SkotlandSkye 8 Mar 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

What exactly is vegan milk? my Vega had oil, gear lube, washer fluid and anti-freeze.?

Those of us in medicine already do this with our patients. All of us know this.
It’s not a secret and thus it’s no surprise.

Bread and fortified cereals need to be removed also.
Cereal is shit.

You’ll never get the American government to make the claims.

Why are they recommending bread, another supposedly evil food, as an alternative to milk?

And why are they behind the curve on fat vs sugar as a dietary concern?

I wish the scientific community would sort out association from cause and get its messaging on the same page. Probably too much to hope for though, because so much of food science is financed by corporate food production interests.

Science does know this.
Science isn’t financed by big business.
The American government is.

@darthfaja We have alleged scientists spouting alleged scientific results about topics they are paid by corporations to "research", but all that's necessary for the misinformation to spread is that the general public perceives it to be science.

Heck, the general public doesn't understand the difference between association and cause, or know the first thing about the limitations of epidemiological studies. Nor do journalists. Hilarity ensues.

So yeah technically real scientists who are properly peer reviewed, etc., are on the same page, mostly. But I don't exactly see them crusading against pseudoscience from corporations either. Maybe some of them hope to get those lucrative jobs in the future, I don't know. It reminds me of liberal Christians not taking much umbrage to their fundamentalist crazy uncles in the basement. One wonders why not. In the case of Christianity it is a reluctance to outright admit their deity is fictional. In the case of science there's the desire for tenure, research $ and status, and not rocking the boat in the pursuit of those things.

@mordant
It’s a tough battle man
I deal with it everyday

My favorite reaction is when I tell people that the ‘American’ Breakfast of milk and cereal is poison

Haha
The look is priceless
Like I just told someone the moon doesn’t exist
Have faith that most of us in medicine know and we shred misinformation at any costs
Keep fighting the good fight

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:313635
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.