Agnostic.com

2 0

High Noon

I just watched High Noon. What do u think of the Hollywood blacklist? John Wayne was too right wing to take tha part saying it was a'Commie' film...I think it's a low point though Hollywood has many low points The movie is very good, but the attitude at the time sounds toxic. Thoughts?

legshowoff 5 Mar 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It was not just a black eye on Hollywood it was a black eye on the Congress and the President. It was his party pushing this crap. He could have called off the dogs. The paranoia over Communism at the time was over the top crazy.

It's a great movie. I enjoyed it for years before I knew about it being a blacklist allegory. But it is really a weak one, I think. Do Kane's friends lie about him or falsely accuse him? No. That is what the blacklisting did. Do they turn people against one another? That is one of the things blacklisting did. Do they try to discredit Kane. No. Actually people still respect him and what he stands for, but they are afraid of Frank Miller and his men.

Kane makes the right decision - staying to fight is the only option, because if he leaves he has to deal with the outlaws alone, on the road, with his wife. He's not trying to do the right thing. He's trying to survive, if he can.

I belong to a forum about ffans of western films and TV. Some members will not watch the movie because of the blacklist aspect. What does that say about them?

In my mind I know it is an allegorical tale, but I mostly watch it for the suspense and action.

You make some excellent points. Thanks for chiming in! One of the things I kept thinking watching Lloyd Bridges was when he started the fight with Kane...I kept hearing him say 'So you think ur better than me'? and 'It's go time'....those lines actually would have fit here.
thanks again!

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:31396
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.