Agnostic.com

3 1

LINK Anti-Semitism and the Beirut Pogrom - Fredy Perlman

"The trick of declaring war against the armed resistance and then attacking the resisters’ unarmed kin as well as the sur­rounding population with the most gruesome products of Death-Science; this trick is not new. American Pioneers were pioneers in this too; they made it standard practice to declare war on indigenous warriors and then to murder and burn villages with only women and children in them. This is already modern war, what we know as war against civilian populations; it has also been called, more candidly, mass murder or genocide.

Maybe I shouldn’t be surprised that the perpetrators of a Pogrom portray themselves as the victims, in the present case as victims of the Holocaust.

Herman Melville noticed over a century ago, in his analysis of the metaphysics of Indian-hating, that those who made a full-time profession of hunting and murdering indigenous people of this continent always made themselves appear, even in their own eyes, as the victims of manhunts.

The use the Nazis made of the International Jewish Conspiracy is better known: during all the years of atrocities defying belief, the Nazis considered themselves the victimized.

It’s as if the experience of being a victim gave exemption from human solidarity, as if it gave special powers, as if it gave a license to kill."

Fredy Perlman from his essay, “Anti-Semitism and the Beirut Pogrom”

WilliamCharles 8 Mar 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think the Jews after WW2, whether they would admit it or not, lost faith that their Jehovah God was real and that He would protect them. If so, it must have been a dreadful shock to the system. I can't help thinking they adopted the M.O. of the Nazis in Israel because that was the most effective force of repression they had experienced. If they believed in God and the covenant agreement between them and God, they would have to conclude that another Babylon exile was coming their way.

Perlman's essays were always thought-provoking.

The beauty of the interwebz is that someone pointed me to the previously unknown Melville reference after I shared the Fredy Perlman passage.

:-----:

"CONTAINING THE METAPHYSICS OF INDIAN-HATING, ACCORDING TO THE VIEWS OF ONE EVIDENTLY NOT SO PREPOSSESSED AS ROUSSEAU IN FAVOR OF SAVAGES."

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:315195
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.