Agnostic.com

1 0

It’s important to realize that if the Old Testament is not true, then it is impossible for the New Testament to be true because the New Testament is based on the foundation of the Old Testament.
The following demonstrates that the writers of the OT did not have an accurate knowledge of astronomy and therefore the OT could not have been inspired by an all knowing God. [All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; 2Timothy 3:16]

The God of the Bible promised Abraham that his descendants would be as numerous as the stars in the Heavens. [I will multiply your descendants as the stars of heaven, and will give your descendants all these lands; and by your descendants all the nations of the earth shall be blessed Genesis 26:4 see also Genesis 15:5, Genesis 22:17, Exodus 32:13]
After Israel was in slavery to Pharaoh, the Exodus from Egypt, and the forty years in the wilderness, Moses declared that God had made Israel as numerous as the stars in Heaven. [The Lord your God has multiplied you, and behold, you are this day like the stars of heaven in number. Deuteronomy 1:10,see also Deuteronomy 10:22]
Moses declared that God’s promise to Abraham that his descendants would be as numerous as the stars had now been fulfilled.

So how many people comprised the nation of Israel? How many stars in the Heavens did the OT writers think there were?

After the Exodus from Egypt, Moses and the leaders took a census of the men over 20 years of age who were fit for war, and there were 603,550 men. [So all the numbered men of the sons of Israel by their fathers’ households, from twenty years old and upward, whoever was able to go out to war in Israel, even all the numbered men were 603,550. Numbers 1:45-46]
Just prior to the entrance into “the promised land,” when Moses declared that God’s promise to make Israel as numerous as the stars had been fulfilled, Moses took another census of the men of Israel, and there were 601, 730. [These are those who were numbered of the sons of Israel, 601,730. Numbers 26:51]

Based on these census figures, scholars have calculated that Israel numbered no more than four million men, women, and children. The writers of the OT believed the stars in the Heaven numbered a paltry four million stars. But modern astronomers know that the stars in the Heavens number in the billions. An all knowing God would have known how many stars He created. Surely this is positive proof that a God did not inspire the writing of the Old Testament.

?

nicknotes 8 Mar 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I find this to be an excellent essay. It ties together numerous things that I had previoulsy learned elsewhere, and puts it all into one cohesive perspective:

The Bible And Christianity - The Historical Origins
A rational, secular, historical perspective on the history of Christianity and its scripture
[bidstrup.com]

When I was part of the Christian world it always amazed me how most Christians know very little about the Bible. Then when I became an Atheist I discovered most Atheists know the Bible very well. It would seem that the more you know about the Bible the more you know that it is mostly fiction.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:31821
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.