Agnostic.com

4 0

QUESTION The Humanist Dilemma: When Should a Student Come Out as an Atheist? - TheHumanist.com

As for your extended family: You can’t live your life on pretense just to keep everyone happy. You don’t have to tell them anything about your faith unless you want to, and if they learn the truth regardless—well, it’s the truth, whether or not they choose to accept it. If your family really does reject you, move on (but remain open to reconnecting if and when they are ready to respect your views). You are doing nothing wrong and everything right.

zblaze 7 Mar 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's very easy to say if your family rejects you, it rejects you, and you "simply" move on. But particularly for a young person, that's way easier said than done, particularly if their family and maybe their church is their sole source of social support.

The young often don't have a very firm "center" and lack the confidence to assert themselves, particularly with someone as symbolically important as a parent.

The young are also often semi-financially dependent on their parents / immediate family to get through school and sometimes the initial years of getting established in adult life -- thanks to the ridiculous expenses and exploitive debts involved with higher education, and the shifting dynamics of entering a shrinking middle class. So they literally cannot AFFORD to honk off their parents, especially in such a primal manner.

I often counsel young people to suck it up at least until they have a good stable income source, are done with school, not excessively in debt, and have their own social support system. It's not THAT big a deal to sit through a church service now and then to humor your family; it's not going to last forever.

After all people are going to encounter this kind of shit throughout life. The employer who can't handle the truth: I don't let my clients know my personal beliefs, I don't want it to bring my trustworthiness and motives into question. It's not worth the risk to give them TMI that's not really their business anyway. The neighbor who can't handle the truth: no one in my neighborhood has the slightest idea what my metaphysical beliefs are, beyond perhaps noticing our car generally remains in the driveway on Sunday mornings (not that unusual around here anyway). And so forth.

I don't think "coming out" as atheist is anywhere near in the same league as "coming out" as gay or trans or something. My atheism doesn't prevent me from living according to my fairly conventional ethical code or behavioral norms. I wouldn't live any differently "out" vs "not out" as atheist. On the other hand my sexual preferences, if I had to repress them, would limit who I could be seen as close to, how I express affection publically, etc. So if I were gay or trans I'd pay a heavy price for being "not out" (or, sadly, for being "out" ). And it is much more of a dillemma. I think we atheists sometimes unintentionally insult our LGBTQ friends by talking about whether or not we should "come out".

This type of question gets asked often on this forum and I am always curious about it because this subject NEVER comes up in my family interactions. And I have no idea why or how it would ever come up in a school, at least in any public school setting. People say "coming out as an atheist" like people used to say, "coming out as gay," as though it were shocking or shameful. Tell someone you are an atheist, and then if they want to pursue it, tell them you don't want to continue to talk about it. Then if they continue to pursue it, you can change the subject or LEAVE. I find the swift departure gives them a pretty good idea of how successful any future such attempts would be.

We must carry the Torch of Reason over the murky waters of Faith and Superstition, to a new beginning and a peaceful world.
Folks need to see and hear about that torch. They won't be able to if you leave.

You're american so it's obvious that you ask this kind of question.

I guess there is a balance between making the rational choice of being fake but not having to deal with unnecessary consequences of being kicked out of the house, marginalized, bullied etc (depends on family)

...or doing the morally right thing to not lie and not be fake.

I guess it can vary greatly from each person's situation... but personally I don't have too much faith in parents in general. Most parents don't seem to be understanding/open minded. Most parents seem to think that they should control their kids like slaves with an iron fist and if a kid ever talks back, he is an ungrateful brat. Girls tend to get the better end of the deal. But again it depends on each person...

Liviu Level 4 Mar 3, 2018

How is being an American make it 'obvious' that I would ask this 'kind' of question Liviu? What 'kind' of question do you think it is?

@zblaze because after living 26 years in romania and 2 in uk, I never had to worry about being judged and hated for being an atheist. People in europe are in general far more accepting towards atheism compared to americans.

@Liviu I undercomprende now, thanks.

I don't necessarily think it's "morally wrong" to make some superficial pretense to theism for the sake of functioning in your family or social circle. I think that's an overblown concern. The governing moral principle in my view is that your personal beliefs are no one else's business, full-stop. The only reason pretense is needed is that people MAKE it their business when it isn't. THAT's what's actually immoral.

Of course sometimes such pretenses are stressful and everyone has to make their own decision as to how much is too much. But I don't see it as a moral struggle, simply a cost vs benefits calculus.

If they are in Catholic school, NEVER!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:31912
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.