Agnostic.com

1 0

What did you REALLY think of Ghost in the Shell 2017?

MINOR SPOILERS IN MEMES BELOW

tl;dr: It's actually a surprisingly good movie, go watch it. Seriously.

Remember 2017? Remember when Scarlett Johansson pretty much stole a role from a perfectly good asian actress? (Lik idk that chick from Pacific Rim? You remember Pacific Rim rite? Well you haz Google, go find out) Remember how all the anime fans were all super upset that Hollywood was gonna release another crappy live action adaptation of a beloved 20+ year old anime? Remember that horrible trailer they had for it? Yeaz, I bet the internet remembers.

Well, I watched that fart of trailer and then the movie because I felt I owed the series that much, in addition to the fact I occasionally have been known to enjoy painful episodes of extended cringing. And wouldn't ya know, there I was strapped in waiting for my eyes to bleed, and then I almost immediately had my little Lesley mind absolutely blown. O.O

Not only was the movie not completely bend over backwards horrible, but it's actually become one of my favorite movies. Mostly because it's next to impossible to make a live action film based on anime (Such as the DBZ movie = Boo!)...well scratch that; ANYTHING, and have it not come out as completely...well just terrible. Just absolutely terrible, for the most part. Ghost in the Shell was not only NOT terrible, it was actually pretty amazing; dare I say a really good movie.

Is Ghost in the Shell 2017 the greatest movie ever? Well probably not cuz the best adaptations we've had so far are Japanese Death Note, (and Netflix Death Note...which we usually avoid talking about) and considering all the hurdles it had to go through just to BE watchable, I'd say for me that's "Probably, yes!"

You don't need to follow the anime at all to enjoy it, but I guess it does kinda help when Hollywood doesn't burn your childhood alive in front of you for once, and instead makes a decent attempt at a badass movie. Does it follow the anime exactly? No, but seriously; there's never going to be an movie adaption that does, and if your a person that thinks that it should be that way, then...well, your probs got bigger problems in life than someone who disagrees with you on the internet, palz.

Is it bad that Hollywood doesn't just get Asian actresses to play lead characters? You betcha, serious problem and all that; not Johansson’s fault necessarily...come to think of it there’s been more than one Scarlett Johansson movie that I personally thought wasn’t as bad as it was critically and audience acclaimed to be a complete flop. This results in me realizing that while the internet is usually right, it does occasionally have the capacity to just be an outright lair of the “Wait an effing minute…” variety.

So yeah, if you happen to enjoy movies with a kick ass female lead (and not immune to critical injuries like say...Atomic Blonde) and with stronger hard sci fi leanings, I’d say GITS 2017 (because the title’s long and also GITS is amusing) is your best bet for delaying the inevitable pointlessness and death and whatever else it is that we do on this website. I post this because I really did enjoy the movie, and even occasionally blurt it as an insult at other anime fans I don’t particularly like as I run speeding away from online conversations that I know have gone to hell. Enjoy your memes. (Yes, I made them... :3)

Lynxlya1338 3 Mar 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I thought it was a very good fantasy movie although the ending was , what I'd call 'cluttered' The story line at the end got too 'clever' and ended up , well, 'cluttered' The ending had quite a different 'look' to it with that ridiculous 'tank spider' thingy.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:31965
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.