Agnostic.com

2 1

To Believe in something, is it learned or just a feeling ?

I often wonder if my manner of thinking is a feeling I just can't shake, or is it a learned intellect modified by trial and error due to life experience.
I do believe that I am better served to think that all my thoughts and actions are never original, and that every action I take is a learned response from earlier parts of my childhood, actions of others that we observe at infancy we mimic, and until I became an Atheist I don't remember knowing or even meeting one till I decided to become one.
So Is this part of my life's journey an original thought or not, I can only wonder.

DoyleHefner 5 Nov 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There are several parts of your question that may help you find your own answer. The first is the phrase mixing "thinking" with "feeling". IF when you hear someone (or yourself) say "I feel" and what follows "I feel" is more than one word - it is not a feeling - it is a thought. I feel hungry, I feel tired, I feel good are all feelings, and obviously subjective to the degree that each of us has different thresholds needed to generate those feelings (which incidentally are caused by thoughts). But, if you hear "I feel you don't understand me", or "I feel it is time for a change", these are not feelings - these are thoughts. People try to turn thoughts into feelings because they have a greater emotional impact on their audience. So, first off your "manner of thinking" can not be a feeling.
I agree your thoughts are never original, but your actions certainly are. At a very base level none of us can have an original thought, it is impossible. Think of how your capacity to think, understand, communicate develops. You start off blank. Your only source of "food for development" is outside yourself. You end up "unique" because there are an infinite number of was to combine all the "stuff" coming in to you that either needs to be combined with previous "stuff" in a manner your mind can arrange into an internally consistent "ball of you" or discarded. One the one hand your path to putting it all together is a unique combination and therefore everything is "original" - to you. On the other, since what you are combining came before, nothing is original. Actions are a response and that's a whole other discussion of free will.

When you are a child you keep asking questions, how and why etc, until you get to the point where a religious concept is presented and the why and how are demanded to be subjugated to "Faith". It was your childlike reliance on reason that removed that faith and restored the "how and why" to your journey.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:3201
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.