Agnostic.com

12 9

Imposter syndrome

It appears to be not uncommon in many successful people. I have definitely had this all my life and it comes with a fair amount of anxiety.

I have, by most measures, been pretty successful after starting from relatively poor beginnings. I have have a couple of engineering degrees, have held professional positions for the past several decades, get good raises, promotion, bonuses and lots of praise pretty consistently over that time. My kids are adults and we are close and they are grateful for how they were raised and provided for. Basically, a good and successful life but...

I sometimes feel like I am kind of faking it. It feels very much like I'm making it up as I go along and failure is moments away. Clearly, based on object measures, this can not be true. I could not possibly work in an engineering field where success is measured by what works for decades and be successful if it were. Or have the positive relationships in my life that I do.

Who else here can relate to this? I have done some reading about it over time and I know it is out there. I have just never had a forum where I could simply ask.

This is my first post from me that isn't in response to someone else on here. Kinda liking the forum, we'll see how this goes. 😉

Roadster 6 Mar 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Some atheists or agnostics scorn meditation, but regular meditation helps me in many ways including being comfortable and relaxed.

I think meditating helps process all the emotional baggage we've built up.

I've suffered it all my life - that constant voice in my head that says "you're not good enough, all these other people are better than you and you shouldn't be here. One day, they'll find you out and everyone will laugh at you, and you'll be thrown out."

The human mind is an incredible thing, but it can be a right asshole too.

Jnei Level 8 Mar 4, 2018

Unless one is a psycho- or sociopath I think we will have self-doubts about many things. If they pass quickly & don't freeze you up, it's normal. If it starts to really affect you you may need some assistance with it.

Very interesting! I've felt the same way, these comments are great. Why do we feel like actors in our own life?

I think that it is a good thing to always want to expand your accomplishments, sometimes that drive comes from a little insecurity and introspection. People with total confidence and belief that they are as good as they can get have problems with humility and often hold narcissist values.

Dunning-kruger is a real thing I guess better this than that. I wonder if it possible to have both? That would be my worst nightmare.

I think I understand how you feel and it seems to get worse as I've gotten older. I am also an engineer and somedays are worse than others. Especially after I've made a mistake...I start questioning everything I do which brings project s to a halt until I can shake myself free enough to finish... bleck!!! I often think about leaving my career.

It is a very stressful field. Solving problems and inventing new technology on a schedule sounds impossible but is what we do everyday. I do enjoy what I do but, honestly, maybe it's a masochistic thing.

@Roadster lol! It very well could be. It has definately made my sense of humor darker.

I think one approach is to realize, with few exceptions, most people are no more competent or qualified than yourself, but just don't understand that. I just now finished reading THE KNOWLEDGE ILLUSION, a book by two college professors that asserts people THINK they know more than they do, generally. That is due in great degree to the fact that people assume community knowledge is their knowledge, when they really know very little about a given topic, but know that the information is there and available, so they treat it as their own. You simply seem to be aware, like many of us, that you don't know everything.

I am management now and I have very clear conversations with my reports about how I really don't know or understand a lot about what my job is anymore and the engineering is all collaboration is what works. I work with a lot of very smart people and we do come to understanding and decisions together. So, that makes sense to me.

@Roadster I worked at Rocketdyne, not as an engineer, but with a lot of you guys, and I know how smart a lot of you are. Almost as smart as Electricians. Is he, you know I'm joking, right? Anyway, yeah, I think the whole collaborative thing is tops. Got us to the moon with the F-1 engines. Congratulations on getting to mgmt.; now the fun begins.

Yep, can relate. I owe my limited successes to noone.
I have had some major wins and had some limited fame in my fields.
I don't like the spotlight, I tend to send others to make the speeches, collect the awards, and when the goal has been achieved, I walk away and look for something else.
I became an over achiever quite young, I think always trying to prove myself.
Between 21and 31 I had all my big wins, only minor ones since and not many.
It is hard to think back and try and remember the feeling of those successes.
I always felt I was cheating somehow, taking credit for other peoples work or ideas, and maybe I was.
None of what I achieved was my own original thought, I just made other peoples ideas work.

I can definitely relate to that. I have been lucky that my field has offered real opportunity for innovation pretty consistently, but collaboration is definitely a thing.

Certainly can relate. Grew up in EXTREME poverty and low social status...but I've always been academic. I have some very impressive accomplishments, but there were times when I felt like a complete phoney.
I guess it's because I went so far beyond the expections that were predicted for me that, somehow, I feel like this can't be possible...

I have enough of an ego to pull off the axiom "fake it till you make it". My field is photography, most recently aerial photography, and my first client had no idea I was learning as I went. The videos enthralled her, so that was good enough for me. Every day I come from from a shoot, thinking I missed this shot, I should have done such-and-such... I'm not near as good as so-and-so... then I look at my raw footage. Then I look at my edited video. Then I understand why my clients love my shit...

What you have (if I have this right) is a confidence issue. You're too self depricating. (sp?)

People have never accused me of having a confidence issue. I am assertive, address conflict quickly and directly, hold strong opinions and have the ability to move and motivate others. I do work in a highly technical field so the continuous learning curve is steep.
It is just a nagging feeling and anxiety. Good news is it does seem to be getting better as I have gotten older.

@Roadster - I wasn't referring to the accusations of other people, but rather your assessment of yourself. "Self" can be so critical... seems like you're on the winning side, so good for you.

I know a research scientist at the Sick Kids hospital in Toronto that teaches university classes by reading the day's lesson the night before. She feels terrible about, but also chuckles about being just one step ahead.

I think it's common.

Same here. I look at other photographers and feel they're real photographers and I'm just snapping away. In the last year, I've had work featured by a major national daily newspaper, numerous magazines and local newspapers and by the BBC. I still don't feel good enough.

For me, and as an atheist, I find it easy to take responsibility for my failures as well as my successes. The promotion I got this week was allllll me baby. Alllll me. And it was with great satisfaction that I looked my old POS boss in the face and said into her eyes
"You know Boss. I'm so happy. Especially since I got the job 'on my own' . All on my own". She knew exactly what I was saying in that I was thanking her for not a god damn thing. All she did for the past year and a half was put up barriers in my career. But I was indeed smarter than her and got this promotion despite her efforts to hold me back. Yup yup. Good job AtheistLatina! In effing DEED! 😀

This makes me happy! Well done you! 🙂

I think this feeling is common, especially early in a career. I've had it, and to some degree still do. It's mitigated, though, by interacting with people in management positions who are complete morons, and then I realize that I know considerably more about my job than they do, and that I possess far better judgement than they do. I feel better about myself and my abilities then. 🙂

So.... I moved to management about 5 years ago. Now, I'm really freaking out.... Lol.

@Roadster It is, fortunately, not a universal trait. Though if you work in advertising, marketing, or general management, it seems the chances for the Dunning-Kruger effect are much higher. 🙂

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:32010
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.