Agnostic.com

7 2

I believe in treating people the way I want to be treated. Anyone have religious folks think that a person only does this because they have been

For some reason, folks want to believe that I am highly religious since I do charity work and not simply because it is in my heart to do so.

bonfirefromtx 5 Mar 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I agree with you. I choose to do the right thing because it’s the right thing to do. BTW, hi neighbor! 🙂

Welcome to our little world and may you find joy, friendship, happiness and more in our little site among equals. Just be yourself.

I've done voluntary work most of my adult life, mainly because I believe in the furtherment of humanity (and protection of a healthy environment) through human endeavour.

As for treating people the way I want to be treated...I try to be helpful but treat people according to their behaviour. e.g. recently I was sick as a dog at work and had a collegue just watch me slog over the last part of my shift. I no longer give him a lift home. I lent someone a fiver, I didn't get it back, I won't help them out again. Because I wouldn't behave like them and they need to face the consequences of their actions. Anyone like me wouldn't get a negative response.

I was a nice guy when I was religious. I'm just as nice now. Nothing changed, morally or ethically speaking. There are good people in and out of religion, but for good people to do bad things, that takes religion -- as I think Sam Harris said.

Many religious people have bought the bill of goods that the source of morality is god, as mediated by their church, and therefore, that makes them better people. Everyone wants to be their best, so this serves as an inducement to keep them in the faith.

Of course, it's made-up nonsense.

One does not have to be religious to have a conscience.

Some of it, in my own experience with charitable work, is because so many charity orgs are “faith-based”.

That is a pretty common misconception about nontheistic individuals. Religious people tend to have this belief that doing good for others is a way to get into heaven rather than simply doing it out of a love for humanity itself.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:32399
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.