Agnostic.com

7 1

What will be the impact of creating life in a test tube?

I have been reading some on epigenetics, and the thought occurred to me that we are getting closer and closer to being able to create life in a test tube. What do you think will be the likely result of such a thing, on science, religion and the world?

ThomasMeador 7 Nov 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There's too many damn humans now ! Natural methods seem more than adequate ... yikes.

I have to wonder with 7 billion here already and a projected 10 billion sooner than later why we'd want to make more? Aside from that I'm inclined to think there will be a religious argument against it. In addition, will it make the world a better place? Will the world place less worth on human life? Science fiction has explored this very thing.

SamL Level 7 Nov 10, 2017

For every advancement made to benefit humanity, there are ways they can be used to cause harm. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Betty Level 8 Nov 10, 2017

If it is ever done, and that is still a big if, it would make an enormous hole in the arguments put forward by creationists that a "god is needed for starting life, even if they grudgingly acknowledge the workings of evolution in shaping it.

I can really only see benefits although I know there are some ethical debates over it.

What benefits might those be? Please, share if you will.

Conservative Christians saying that every test tube baby that isn't brought to term is murder.

Less women with stretch marks?

Yea, I was thinking that, too.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:3253
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.