Agnostic.com

4 6

QUESTION Double Slit Experiment explained! by Jim Al-Khalili - YouTube

Have you guys read about the mysterious two slit experiment in quantum physics? In summary, it is the mystery of why particles behave differently when and when not observed. The mystery here is that the observer does not interfere with the particles yet it behaves differently when observed. This has led to several speculations about the nature of consciousness. what are your thoughts?

obis 6 Mar 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I can't explain it but I can raise a confound: with the detector on, there will be a small electromagnetic field that it uses to detect the atoms (this based on his description of unplugging the detector) which will also have an effect on the atoms.

Turning off the detector will change the electromagnetic field of the detector and thus change its effect on the experiment.

Now, I am certain sure that they have thought of this and have an explaination that basically states this is NOT the reason for the difference.

You are correct in that it is not the reason. this is the strange world of quanta. We now realize for anything to be true we must verify it with observation, However we now learn that our observation itself changes the outcome. Incredible thought provoking stuff. as Einstein put it light is both a wave and particle at the same time.

The wave versus particle thing, and matter waves, I get rather readily.

There must be some change we are effecting in our methods of observation that are causing the alteration of the output. What I believe to be true is that we have not, yet, been able to measure that change.

Note that we are not observing trucks, we are observing particles. Thus, near field effects are almost impossible to avoid in observing the experiment. If for no other reason than the simple fact that we may not be able to observe from a sufficient distance to guarantee we are not causing changes that have effects at the particle level.

Another thought occurs: this is predictable and repeatable. That in and of itself says that quanta are predictable, which is sort of against the basic concept of the Schroedinger Cat experiment. Since the concept there was that the outcome is NOT predictable... here it is.

Stay with the science, read and learn more. this is not quantum physics, but particle physics, photons acting like waves etc

Agreed. The particle is in a superposition of anywhere within the boundaries of probabilities around a central area. Only when looked at does the particle position itself in one point.

Which means that all our own future possibilities exist at the same time. Only when we arrive at one of those future possibilities, based on past events and experiences, do all those other probabilities collapse into what we experience.

I'm just guessing here, of course, of what the results of the double slit experiment COULD mean in our General Relativity world.

It's also possible that the "sphere of probabilities" and the "collapse of that function into one point when observed" within the tiny scale of Quantum Mechanics do not translate in the huge scale of General Relativity.

But it's all good and interesting findings.

That we live in a matrix, nothing what it seems, if I take my eyes off my reflection in the mirror .... I cease to exist. Everything and everyone are interconnected, at times we don’t realize that any and all of our actions create counteractions without any outward intent.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:32694
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.