Agnostic.com

4 4

LINK NYC cracks down on yeshivas that let in unvaccinated students

"A month later, a yeshiva in Williamsburg fell out of compliance and allowed unvaccinated children back into school or child care. This single yeshiva is connected to more than 40 cases, the release on Monday said."

And herein lies a bigger problem: The recent phenomenon of claiming "religious freedom" in order to transgress the accepted liberal (small "L" ) values of the Bill of Rights. We as a nation must come to grips with the fact that not all "religious" values are concordant with the secular values espoused in the country since it's founding.

Elganned 8 Apr 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

People's choices can and do affect others. As we become more urbanized the situation becomes more critical and the spread of infectious diseases proves that fact. One thing I never hear is that more of us often means fewer individual freedoms. No one who is in the public sphere should be exempt from certain vaccinations.

Funny comments! Most illnesses are a result of diet, lifestyle, genetics and chance. 3 of them you play a big role in, the fourth your parents did. To exclude people from healthcare because of a choice is pretty ignorant. Nobody would be covered for anything. And to compare a speed limit with injecting my body with biological and chemical compounds is just stupid. Anyway, I'm just glad I don't go there, sounds like they have allot of sick kids!

“Most illnesses are a result of diet, lifestyle, genetics and chance.”
Yes, however we are not talking most illness here. The lead cause of all mortality in all age groups are potentially preventable. Being healthy isn’t enough to eradicate a curable virus. This debate is about vaccination.

“To exclude people from healthcare because of a choice is pretty ignorant. Nobody would be covered for anything.”
That’s correct, but it’s going to happen anyways. We will have to be patient but there’s going to be a major healthcare reform coming and it’s likely it will be dictated by insurance companies.

“Anyway, I'm just glad I don't go there”
Sure but what if you were immunized suppressed and that was you neighbor or college roommate or the guy delivering your pizza.

As far as I'm concerned, they get to choose whatever religion they please.
Because that's what it is, a CHOICE. No one is born believing, everyone is
born an atheist. All religious indoctrination is exactly that, indoctrination.

Their religious beliefs do not get to infringe on everyone else's rights to BE.
They seem to have lost knowledge of that FACT.
The republicans are encouraging that un-Constitutional behavior because it
gets them votes.

You always seem to have a way of cutting thru the BS. TY

Another apparent my freedom to act irresponsibly is more important, then the health and safety of others.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:327601
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.